Question How can i turn my laptop into a dedicated gaming server?

Apr 22, 2019
I have a semigood laptop and wanted to run a small server on it, it has an i5-6200U 8gb of ram and a 500gb ssd
Any chance i could host a server on it? my upload and download speed are 900mb/s up and 900mb/s down

Are you talking for home usage or an online game server?

If you're talking about a home server for media, then yes, you probably can do that. If you are talking about even a limited capacity online server that will be serving more than one or two connections, then no, it is not nearly enough in terms of hardware or connection.

Apr 22, 2019
Are you talking for home usage or an online game server?

If you're talking about a home server for media, then yes, you probably can do that. If you are talking about even a limited capacity online server that will be serving more than one or two connections, then no, it is not nearly enough in terms of hardware or connection.
i was talking online server for some lite game servers. but i guess it wouldnt handle it too well.
Well, kind of a big jump but would an i7 960 @3.2ghz and 12gb of ddr3 ram be enough for a gaming server setup?
thats my spare desktop but i was trying to go for something with a lower power consumption, would there maybe be a way to lower the power consumption rate if i were to use it?

Any kind of server for online gaming, even a small light version, probably needs to START at about 32GB of memory (And likely needs more like 64GB) and using a CPU that is more than 9 years old, is not going to cut it either.

Gamer servers require an INVESTMENT in hardware. But more important is the amount of lag you are going to have trying to run off a normal server, which you ISP almost 100% certainly isn't going to allow anyhow. If you don't have a business class connection with at least about 1.5MB/s (NOT mbps) up AND down, then it's likely going to be a complete waste of time for everybody involved. There are tremendous amounts of bandwidth involved in serving multiple clients and I just feel like if you have to ask these questions, then the answer is almost always unequivocally no in pretty much every case. Sorry.

I'll send one or two of our more network oriented guys over for a second or third opinion, but I think they're going to tell you about the same thing. We'll see.

Apr 22, 2019
Any kind of server for online gaming, even a small light version, probably needs to START at about 32GB of memory (And likely needs more like 64GB) and using a CPU that is more than 9 years old, is not going to cut it either.

Gamer servers require an INVESTMENT in hardware. But more important is the amount of lag you are going to have trying to run off a normal server, which you ISP almost 100% certainly isn't going to allow anyhow. If you don't have a business class connection with at least about 1.5MB/s (NOT mbps) up AND down, then it's likely going to be a complete waste of time for everybody involved. There are tremendous amounts of bandwidth involved in serving multiple clients and I just feel like if you have to ask these questions, then the answer is almost always unequivocally no in pretty much every case. Sorry.

I'll send one or two of our more network oriented guys over for a second or third opinion, but I think they're going to tell you about the same thing. We'll see.
Well i completely understand, but reading that makes it seem like i might have made it seem like i was running a modern triple a game server with hundreds of people or something, i was mainly wanting to host a gtav fivem server which hosts 32 people, and with the newest update 64 max players. and maybe some other equivalent games but nothing like something brand new by any means. but then again i really have no idea what i would need at all so im gonna assume either way i'd still need those specs. it's just looking online at host websites they have worse options for their servers to run games of equal power. i just didnt wanna make it seem like im running a small business or something that will have 100's of people or anything.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019
IMO, that hardware and connection could not support five people. Maybe not three people. It's really not an area where I am exceptionally experienced though so lets wait to see what the guys I've called in have to say.
well any help would be appreciated in any form whatsoever.
So either way thank you for the help.

Apr 22, 2019
I did a little research into FiveM and apparently it will run on a potato. So that laptop you have should have no issue running a FiveM Server.

https://forum.fivem.net/t/requirements-to-install-on-a-dedicated-server/20274/6

Keep in mind FiveM specifically is very lightweight. Darkbreeze was right, many other games are going to need WAY more horsepower than your laptop can provide.
Yeah, i shouldve been more clear about specific's on what i wanted to do. so thats my fault.
I know it's asking a lot but what would typically be a good server and specs if i wanted to run something much more demanding?
I have some extra money and i'd like to start saving to get something like that in a few years or so.
If you have the time would you mind listing me specifics?

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah, i shouldve been more clear about specific's on what i wanted to do. so thats my fault.
I know it's asking a lot but what would typically be a good server and specs if i wanted to run something much more demanding?
I have some extra money and i'd like to start saving to get something like that in a few years or so.
That depends on the specific requirements of the game in question, and how many users.
The documentation for the game should give a basic level of parts to run a server for x number of people.

Apr 22, 2019
That depends on the specific requirements of the game in question, and how many users.
The documentation for the game should give a basic level of parts to run a server for x number of people.
oh i just meant general server specs that would run most games with a decent amount of online players. maybe a few hundred or so.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

You need to tell us what exactly you want to run. For example you mentioned FiveM which as I said will run on a junkyard PC. A Minecraft Server for a small userbase can run on a Raspberry Pi. But some real game servers will need at least a quad core CPU and 16 gb of ram.

It really depends on the game. You need to tell us your plans so we can direct you.

oh i just meant general server specs that would run most games with a decent amount of online players. maybe a few hundred or so.

Like I said, depends on the game. but a few hundred? thats a LOT of people and a big ask. You're gonna need some serious horsepower in most cases.