Question How can I update my drivers when it blue screens?

mofro_5bros

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
I’ve looked up solutions for this error code but they all require the system on the desktop to update drivers. When I first turned on the computer everything worked perfectly, so when I started the usual download of software and I was about to update drivers the computer crashed. Now, every time I turn on the computer it automatically goes to the BSOD. I’ve tried resetting the pc, removing all partitions from the ssd and reinstalling windows, I’ve switched the gpu, and it still goes to that blue screen. If I switch the boot drive to the usb with the windows installer, it’ll let me access the startup options, but none work. The motherboard is the Gigabyte B450M DS3H and the gpu is the 580 8gig red dragon.

mofro_5bros

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
What blue screen? What error code?

Anyway - boot into safe mode. That should avoid bluescreening. Then deal with problematic drivers.
The error code is “Thread Stuck in Device Driver”. I’m not sure how to explain it, but it’s basically a constant loop of the blue screen. If I put the usb installer first in the boot sequence then I can get to the screen that says turn off my pc or advanced recovery options or something like that. In those recovery options I chose boot into safe mode but it then blue screened again.

Sep 28, 2019
Try win installation/load with different HDD/SSD. Maybe your HDD/SSD have some bad sectors.
Later you could attach the SSD/HDD as a portable device(if applciation) and perform a full disk check, and be hopeful it's belong to a soft bad sector(probably), not a hard one.

A faulty disk drive could cause some BSOD like "REFERENCE ERROR".

Also a BIOS/UEFI load to default could be handy.