Question How can I use a 290w power supply to power an Nvida tesla v100

Mar 31, 2020
This is my first post here. I want to thank all of you for all of the answers to so many things that I have gotten from lurking and googling over the years..

I have a precision 5810 work station with an 825w psu. I would like to power on an Nvidia tesla v100 to test that it works. My only cpu power spot is a 10 pin. So I picked up an old dell 290w psu from salvage hoping to power the gpu on it's own. It has a button on the back that turns it on when held. However, when I power on the pc, and plug the 8 pin cpu cord from the second psu that's running to the card, the secondary psu won't turn on. All of the info that I can find on the internet about using a second psu involves making a jumper for the 24 pin. However, this little psu only has an 8 pin and a 4 pin. The part # on the PSU is 0KPRG9. Now the psu card in the precision does have an empty 10 pin cpu slot open that I have a cord for.. Could I also maybe get a 10 pin to 8 pin adapter to power the tesla?

I know that the v100 is passively cooled and it is not meant to be ran in a workstation. I have no intention on running it in this system, I just want to test that it's not bricked before I get a server set up to run it.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Alot of trouble to see if this card works. Maybe you already found a solution. Migth be best to test in a rig with appropriate connections.

If you can't are there these,
DELL PRECISION T5810 10 PIN TO 8 PIN POWER CABLE 3H4HG | eBay
from what i see a 10pin to 8pin pcie adapter for your powerboard. With this one and the 8pin you say you have could you via the next power that card,
Nvidia Tesla 030-0571-000 GPU Power splitter for High End Graphics PCI-e adapter
Well that is i've looked well and if you really want to spend that kond of money.

TRENDING THREADS