[SOLVED] How can I use function keys without pressing the function key

Feb 23, 2019
I have the Ajazz AK33 white keyboard and I am running the latest version of Windows on a custom built PC with an Asus ROG STRIX Z370-i motherboard, and I've gone through the BIOS multiple times and I still haven't found an option to use function keys without the key itself. They just perform whatever task the F1-F12 keys do in the specific program. Is there a setting in the Windows settings? If not, is there a software I could use? Please help.

Solution
He means swapping the function keys between generating F1-F12, and other functions typically assigned to the function keys when you press F1-F12 with the Fn key held down (volume up/down, microphone on/off, etc).

Normally, swapping the function key capability is available in the BIOS only on laptops, since they have dedicated keyboards. A generic desktop motherboard has no idea the keyboard you eventually plug into it will even have a Fn key, so cannot include a swap option in the BIOS.

On a keyboard you plug in via USB port, any such swapping functionality (if it's available at all) would be part of the keyboard drivers the manufacturer put out. Though I think I've seen one external keyboard with a physical switch to swap the two...
He means swapping the function keys between generating F1-F12, and other functions typically assigned to the function keys when you press F1-F12 with the Fn key held down (volume up/down, microphone on/off, etc).

Normally, swapping the function key capability is available in the BIOS only on laptops, since they have dedicated keyboards. A generic desktop motherboard has no idea the keyboard you eventually plug into it will even have a Fn key, so cannot include a swap option in the BIOS.

On a keyboard you plug in via USB port, any such swapping functionality (if it's available at all) would be part of the keyboard drivers the manufacturer put out. Though I think I've seen one external keyboard with a physical switch to swap the two. Check with the keyboard manufacturer's support site to see if any such drivers exist.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS