How can I use TRIM in an SSD RAID0 setup

G

I'm getting 2 OCZ vertex 30gb SSDs and I want to put them in RAID0. Is there a way to do this without losing TRIM support? Also if I format an SSD that has lots of reduntadn unTRIMed data will it go back it its original performance?

No RAID controller or drivers that I'm aware of will pass TRIM commands to an SSD if the SSD is part of a RAID set. The Intel drivers will pass TRIM commands to an individual non-RAID SSD if the controller is operating in RAID mode for other drive, but not to an SSD which is itself part of a multi-drive RAID set.

If you format and partition an SSD under Windows 7 then it will issue the appropriate TRIM commands to mark unused space on the drive and restore original performance. You can also Secure Erase the drive or use the Intel SSD Toolbox utility.

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
There is a driver for intel ICH chipsets and it was supposed to support TRIM in RAID but it turns out it only supports TRIM on non-raided volumes even though RAID is set in the BIOS. It's here

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/detail_desc.aspx?agr=N&ProductID=&DwnldID=15251

Here is the updated information from Intel

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)
Is there TRIM support for RAID configurations?

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 9.6 supports TRIM in AHCI mode and in RAID mode for drives that are not part of a RAID volume.

A defect was filed to correct the information in the Help file that states that TRIM is supported on RAID volumes.

This applies to:
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)

Kind of a good news bad news situation. At least they are working on it.