How can I utilize the speed of my 3200 Mhz RAM sticks?

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
The issue is that when I am in BIOS (x370 Gaming Plus with the updated BIOS ver.) I see that my DRAM Frequency is at 2133 Mhz. I have 16GB (2x8GB) GSKill F4-3200 sticks. I do see a radio button for A-XMP Profiles 1&2. 1 is 2933 Mhz and 2 is 3200 Mhz. I activated the A-XMP profile 2, booted and I got a black screen and error that no OS drive could be found and press any key to continue. Pressing a key didn't do anything but give me the error again. I ended up having to clear the BIOS by jumpering the battery and then it booted normally. I am nervous to try it again. I really would like to utilize the speed of my RAM and was wondering if anyone had any good advice for me? I'm leaving a lot of speed on the table I fear with the configuration that is being used right now.

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014

All I got was the plastic blister pack with the two sticks of memory in it. An piece of cardboard was in the pack as well, but it just tells what it is. Instructions may be on the GSKILLS website though or the MSI site for the MoBo. I'll let you know.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
there should be a sticker on the ram.. and exactly what is the ram model? if its an intel spec one you may not be able to get up to 3200Mhz.. What you could do is set the profile to 2 as normally it should change the setings and voltage.. and then manually set the ram to like 2600 (or around there) Mhz and then try and boot if that works then try faster and such.. but you really should see what the exact ram you got is.. (model) as there should be more then just f4-3200

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014

I tried that and it seemed to work fine. Now I click on profile 2 and it won't even highlight, so I guess that I'm stuck at 2933 Mhz in stead of 3200. Anything is better than leaving all that speed on the table.