Question How can make data on a hard drive not recoverable in order to sell?

caliskier

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012
I have several used HD I want to sell, but I want to format them in such away that they are still usable but the data is completely gone. I thought that formatting and de-selecting "quick format" so it takes a very long time to format, might be an option. But I really do not know. Anyone know how to do this such that I don't need to buy software to do it?

USAFRet

Titan
I have several used HD I want to sell, but I want to format them in such away that they are still usable but the data is completely gone. I thought that formatting and de-selecting "quick format" so it takes a very long time to format, might be an option. But I really do not know. Anyone know how to do this such that I don't need to buy software to do it?
Assuming not the OS drive, a Full Format in File Explorer will do it.

If it WAS the OS drive, the commandline function diskpart, and the /clean command.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks, some are the OS drive and some are not.

What is a "Full Format"
What do you mean by:
Full Format == unselect 'Quick Format'.

For the commandline thing, these:

USAFRet

Titan
i'm a bit more paranoid and prefer to go ahead and write it to zeros to ensure 100% data destruction :)

i use https://www.harddriveeraser.org/ to do it. easy to use and free

you can pick multiple methods from DOD standard to crazy "write over it 100 times" type options. this writes random data to every sector on the drive more than once so nothing but 1's and 0's gibberish is left.
I did a test of this a couple weeks ago.

3TB HDD, 1.97TB data on it. Varying file sizes, tiny to large.

Simple "Full Format" in File Explorer.

After...

Deep Scan with Recuva.
0 files recovered

Full scan with Autopsy.
Initially, it reported "2733 files found"
Took 36+ hours for the scan to run.
Result - zero files recovered. Not even fragments.
Nothing. Nada. Zip.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

3TB HDD, 1.97TB data on it. Varying file sizes, tiny to large.

Simple "Full Format" in File Explorer.

After...

Deep Scan with Recuva.
0 files recovered

Full scan with Autopsy.
Initially, it reported "2733 files found"
Took 36+ hours for the scan to run.
Nothing. Nada. Zip.

interesting. much simpler than watching it write random bits for a few hours :)

D

Deleted member 2838871

Nothing. Nada. Zip.

Still begs the question out of my curiosity as a true crime enthusiast... I've seen many cases where people are convicted for whatever crime they may have been accused of due to digital evidence that has been "recovered" from a computer.

So are all these people just stupid and are just deleting files and then emptying the recycle bin thinking the files will never be seen again instead of doing the above steps to securely wipe their data?

I'm just curious... you don't have to answer. I truly am wondering if these "forensic computer experts" can actually recover files if someone uses the method you just described to wipe their data. :ROFLMAO:

USAFRet

Titan
Still begs the question out of my curiosity as a true crime enthusiast... I've seen many cases where people are convicted for whatever crime they may have been accused of due to digital evidence that has been "recovered" from a computer.

So are all these people just stupid and are just deleting files and then emptying the recycle bin thinking the files will never be seen again instead of doing the above steps to securely wipe their data?

I'm just curious... you don't have to answer. I truly am wondering if these "forensic computer experts" can actually recover files if someone uses the method you just described to wipe their data. :ROFLMAO:
Yes, no one actually does a Full Format. A 3TB HDD takes several hours.
"I clicked delete, surely thats good enuff, rite?"

And if there were actual 'evidence' of a crime on the drive, and you had that "several hours"...a semi smart criminal would just take the drive out and apply a little percussive deletion.

Plus, the ones you see on TV are on TV because it makes for good TV.
You don't see the ones where they got no data from it.

Blitz Hacker

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015
Generally speaking a full format will make it difficult to recover files. Depending on the data contents. If it's trade secrets or whatever (generally they would have those destroyed and never resold) but you would delete all partitions on the drive.. Create a new partition that encompassed all free space.. then use a DOD wipe on the entire drive. This does take some time to do, but doesn't require user interaction. https://prosoftpedia.com/barts-pe-builder/ something like a bartPE disk would beable to do it if I recall. It's free and just requires either a local decompression or ideally a bootable usb drive .. depending on the wipe and number of passes you run on the hard drive it can take several hours to several days in some extreme cases.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
All data, whether file or folder, has an address on the drive. Format doesn't actually 'erase' or delete anything, it just removes the address so that an OS cannot access it anymore, it's address is listed as free space. If you use recovery software, it'll pull a listing of all those files almost always listed as $$, so autoexec.bat would be $$toexec.$$$. If you can replace the $$ accurately, you recover the file, it gets a new address.

Overwriting the drive, such as the DOD etc writing 0's over the data, will change the file data as it was and even if a format and recover software is used all you'd get is $$0000.$$$ which is impossible to recover.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
I've learned over the years to read between the lines. Often what is not said is as important as what is said. I'm sure average attempts at recovering files can be foiled with various methods. I don't doubt what is posted here. But I also know the agencies that often attempt to recover data requires DOD wipes or better for their own info destruction and suggest the same to the rest of the gov.

This tells me they know something I don't and most likely what they know is how to recover this data that average users can't. Otherwise they'd not waste their time with it and would not be telling others to do it.

Does the average person need to worry about this? Not really, but it's still good to know that most likely if someone truly wanted to recover it, then it is vulnerable without the extra steps to know for sure it's gone.

So just for my personal preference I go with DOD wipe just in case whatever the gov knows, is common knowledge in the more insidious parts of the pc world.

Reactions: Karadjgne
D

Deleted member 2838871

Yes, no one actually does a Full Format. A 3TB HDD takes several hours.
"I clicked delete, surely thats good enuff, rite?"

Makes sense!

Good to know... and thanks for the formatting tips.

I’ve actually decided to go ahead and dump my 2 media storage HDDs (12TB and 10TB) in favor of a pair of large capacity SSDS (Samsung 870 QVO 8TB is currently $420) and I'll definitely be going the full format route for the HDDs prior to sale.

All my SSDs will be Samsung and easy to manage with Magician. The QVO drives will be nice replacements for the HDDs.

D

Deleted member 2838871

i'm a bit more paranoid and prefer to go ahead and write it to zeros to ensure 100% data destruction :)

i use https://www.harddriveeraser.org/ to do it. easy to use and free

you can pick multiple methods from DOD standard to crazy "write over it 100 times" type options. this writes random data to every sector on the drive more than once so nothing but 1's and 0's gibberish is left.

I'm actually doing this DOD erase now on my 12TB drive. I'm setting up the new SSDs tomorrow and once that's done I'll do the same with the other HDD.

Thanks for the link.

Reactions: Math Geek