How can memory run at greater frequency than one supported by a processor?

Randex

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015
Hello.
I tried to search if this question was already asked before, but didn't find anything. Sorry if I missed something :)

So let's imagine we have an Intel Core i7-6700 (Skylake) processor. As stated here, memory types that it supports are:
DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V

So I assume that the highest DDR4 memory frequency supported by the processor is 2133 MHz. Am I right?

If yes, then let's imagine again we have some cool memory modules working at greater frequencies than one supported by the processor, for example 2800 or 3000 MHz. And we also have, say, ASUS Z170-Deluxe motherboard, and it supports up to DDR4-3733MHz, as stated here.

Is it possible to surpass the 2133 MHz limit supported by the processor? If yes, then can you explain briefly how it's possible?

(I never overclocked anything, so my question may sound a bit stupid, sorry if it does, I just want to know :) )

Solution
Yes. It is just that Intel doesn't test at that frequency and doesn't guarantee compatibility. If you limit yourself to Intel limitations then Intel gives you more assurance that it will work.

TRENDING THREADS