Question how can there be external 16tb ssd's under $50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2022
hello, i was looking at ssd's on ebay and i saw up to 16tb external ssd's for under $50 and was wondering what i'm missing or how it can be possible they are so cheap? here is a title of one "1Pcs 3.1 High Speed Solid State 4/8/16TB Mobile External SSD Hard Drive Disk USB" ... i would be surprised finding even a non ssd external hd being so cheap, thanks

USAFRet

Titan
hello, i was looking at ssd's on ebay and i saw up to 16tb external ssd's for under $50 and was wondering what i'm missing or how it can be possible they are so cheap? here is a title of one "1Pcs 3.1 High Speed Solid State 4/8/16TB Mobile External SSD Hard Drive Disk USB" ... i would be surprised finding even a non ssd external hd being so cheap, thanks
Fakes.

There are 1 or 2 16/32GB flash drives inside, firmware hacked to show as 4/8/16TB.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iMm6wIktNk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFY5hd273lI

Reactions: CountMike

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Misleading info. The $50 external is a cheap knockoff, in the 4Tb size, there's limited numbers of only 1 junky model etc. If you opt for the 16Tb, those will be $250 etc.

It's generally a scam on multiple levels, using the lowest quality parts or even using hdds or flash drives not ssds. A 16Tb Sata3 ssd will run upwards of $1200, most closer to $3000

There aren't, I saw similar things with memory sticks the other day. Just ignore them.

USAFRet

Titan
I bought a 16GB from alli and pc shows it as 11.4TB which still surprised me. I'm copying my backup PC files to it, and I'll report back any anomalies.

ATM transfer speed is showing 13-14 MB/s. The connection is usb2.

Any way for the capacity to be faked in windows properties? I'm just waiting to get 200GB in and it say FULL. 135GB in and fine so far.
You got scammed.
You paid actual money for a scam product.

A 16TB drive would report in Windows as 14.5TB

The firmware has been flashed to report 'whatever'.
There is not 16TB of actual drive space in there.
Even worse, it won't simply stop at the physical capacity, it will simply continue to overwrite what was copied earlier.

Waste of your time and money.

Reactions: Karadjgne
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS