How can XP's Backup Wizard backup *just* my user account?

Hi, All!

I've "discovered" that Win XP's Backup Wizard in
Accessories>System Tools can be used to backup any/all
things on an XP system.

However, so far I've been completely unable to figure out
how to backup/transfer *just* the myriad of settings that
go with my User Account, such as Start Menu, desktop,
themes, colors, etc. etc.

When I look at the Backup Wizard's "let me choose what to
backup" option, all I see is what looks to me like a
folder tree, and I don't know where to look.

Searching the MS KB has come up with zilch.

I even modified my existing account and created a brand
new one and can't find it by using the Search function to
detect all the HD files created or modified today.

I'm getting nervous about losing my "precious" settings,
and I'd like to take some precautions against an an attach
of Murphy.

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"All Things Mopar" <usenetMATP123@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi, All!
>
> I've "discovered" that Win XP's Backup Wizard in
> Accessories>System Tools can be used to backup any/all
> things on an XP system.
>
> However, so far I've been completely unable to figure out
> how to backup/transfer *just* the myriad of settings that
> go with my User Account, such as Start Menu, desktop,
> themes, colors, etc. etc.
>
> When I look at the Backup Wizard's "let me choose what to
> backup" option, all I see is what looks to me like a
> folder tree, and I don't know where to look.
>
> Searching the MS KB has come up with zilch.
>
> I even modified my existing account and created a brand
> new one and can't find it by using the Search function to
> detect all the HD files created or modified today.
>
> I'm getting nervous about losing my "precious" settings,
> and I'd like to take some precautions against an an attach
> of Murphy.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> --
> ATM, aka Jerry

If you're wanting to backup your profile, desktop settings, documents, etc,
and you want to select what you want; you need to expand the tree next to My
Computer/C:/Documents and Settings/ then place a check by the folder you
want to back up. Just keep in mind, that you can back up any particular
folder you please. e.g., you simply place a check by the Documents and
Settings folder, then everything in it will automatically get checked (as
the subfolders would also be selected) to be backed up.

bar

Backup will require that files, folders, applications, .exe, .dll etc are not
being used at the time that the file is being written. Thus it is not a
reliable method of creating a useful source to recreate or 'restore' a
working computer.

It would serve your purposes better to use 'Files and Settings Transfer
Wizard' - see more in the Help and Support information on your PC.

I recommend that you create a folder on a second drive or partition [if you
have one] or on the C Drive and name it FAST. Then run FAST and create a
file with everything, all your personal data etc.

Once created, you can copy this to one or more CDs.

Now you have successfully crested a 'backup' of you personal data, together
with your settings etc.

Should you need to perform a 'clean' installation at any time, then you can
run FAST and 'import' your saved information from the second partition, drive
or CD.

"Tom" wrote:

> "All Things Mopar" <usenetMATP123@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Hi, All!
> >
> > I've "discovered" that Win XP's Backup Wizard in
> > Accessories>System Tools can be used to backup any/all
> > things on an XP system.
> >
> > However, so far I've been completely unable to figure out
> > how to backup/transfer *just* the myriad of settings that
> > go with my User Account, such as Start Menu, desktop,
> > themes, colors, etc. etc.
> >
> > When I look at the Backup Wizard's "let me choose what to
> > backup" option, all I see is what looks to me like a
> > folder tree, and I don't know where to look.
> >
> > Searching the MS KB has come up with zilch.
> >
> > I even modified my existing account and created a brand
> > new one and can't find it by using the Search function to
> > detect all the HD files created or modified today.
> >
> > I'm getting nervous about losing my "precious" settings,
> > and I'd like to take some precautions against an an attach
> > of Murphy.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help.
> >
> > --
> > ATM, aka Jerry
>
> If you're wanting to backup your profile, desktop settings, documents, etc,
> and you want to select what you want; you need to expand the tree next to My
> Computer/C:/Documents and Settings/ then place a check by the folder you
> want to back up. Just keep in mind, that you can back up any particular
> folder you please. e.g., you simply place a check by the Documents and
> Settings folder, then everything in it will automatically get checked (as
> the subfolders would also be selected) to be backed up.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Who said anything about backing up the system. Please
read as I only gave him instructions on backing up his
personal settings (e.g. Desktop, My documents, etc) from
the D&S folder. this is all he asked about, and this can
be done while in windows (or else, why would backup be
avaiable there?)

Al

Also, BAR is still wrong regarding his first statement, or ASR would not
work, since that can backup the whole system (including the System State),
while still in Windows. BAckup is not *using* the files, simply copying them
over in their state for archival purposes. ASR, can restore the whole system
back to what it was, at the time it was backed up.

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
> Who said anything about backing up the system. Please
> read as I only gave him instructions on backing up his
> personal settings (e.g. Desktop, My documents, etc) from
> the D&S folder. this is all he asked about, and this can
> be done while in windows (or else, why would backup be
> avaiable there?)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Just make sure you have a least one NTFS volume on the computer the backup
is being run from and it will use shadow backup and backup everything,
including files in use.

"Bob" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>Just make sure you have a least one NTFS volume on the computer the backup
>is being run from and it will use shadow backup and backup everything,
>including files in use.

Is that right? If I have say partition F: as NTFS then the in-use
files on drive C: will be backed up?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> "Bob" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>>Just make sure you have a least one NTFS volume on the computer the backup
>>is being run from and it will use shadow backup and backup everything,
>>including files in use.
>
> Is that right? If I have say partition F: as NTFS then the in-use
> files on drive C: will be backed up?

Yes, as I have done this a few times when beta testing.

"Tom" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:

>"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>> "Bob" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>>>Just make sure you have a least one NTFS volume on the computer the backup
>>>is being run from and it will use shadow backup and backup everything,
>>>including files in use.
>>
>> Is that right? If I have say partition F: as NTFS then the in-use
>> files on drive C: will be backed up?
>
>Yes, as I have done this a few times when beta testing.

Wow! I gotta try that.

Thanks for the info.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/