How can you fix the issue of 3rd party laptop batteries not being recognized by dell and hp laptops?

Parsifal

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
There are cheap laptop batteries out there, but they are not being recognized by hp and dell laptops. I think this is an smbus issue. Is there a fix?

Solution
For dell? Not that I am aware of. From what I understand dell actually puts a chip in their batteries that tells the computer its a dell battery. They HATE people using third party parts, so they make sure you can't. As far as HP? I was not aware they had anything like that. The chinese battery I put in my HP laptop works just fine. Must be something they started more recently than 2009 when I bought mine.

ram1009

Distinguished

Of course there's a fix. Buy the OEM batteries. This is just one of many ways OEMs capture customers.

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
For dell? Not that I am aware of. From what I understand dell actually puts a chip in their batteries that tells the computer its a dell battery. They HATE people using third party parts, so they make sure you can't. As far as HP? I was not aware they had anything like that. The chinese battery I put in my HP laptop works just fine. Must be something they started more recently than 2009 when I bought mine.

Solution