Question How cheap can we convert an Internal HDD to an External HDD Now-a-Days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrabhakaranKaruppaih

Distinguished
May 18, 2016
Hi All,
I am Prabhakaran from India. I need to convert an Internal HDD to an External One. How cheap can we do it now?
Please reply. Thank You.
Regards,
Prabhakaran

1 TB SATA Western Digital (WD)

kanewolf

Titan
Hi All,
I am Prabhakaran from India. I need to convert an Internal HDD to an External One. How cheap can we do it now?
Please reply. Thank You.
Regards,
Prabhakaran

How permanent does this external HD need to be? An adapter with no case that can be used to copy data off a drive is different than a drive that needs to be protected because it is connected/used by a router 24/7.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
You can get various adapters or enclosures for a HDD which will connect via USB to the host PC. The cheapest route is probably going to be a "drive caddy" where there is a slot that you simply slide the drive down into. Moving up from that would be enclosed.
If the drive is going to be utilized a lot in this position, I suggest looking for a type with a fan, which is even a bit more expensive.

I am not familiar with your market, but cheap ones typically start around $10-15 and go well up from there.
The biggest issue I have had out of these type of devices is whether they actually stay connected and work as they are supposed to.

I was recommended this one by a member here and it has stood up well:
Amazon.com: Cable Matters USB 3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station (USB to SATA Docking Station) with 10TB+ Drive Support for 2.5 Inch & 3.5 Inch HDD SSD - USB-C Cable Included for Thunderbolt 3 & USB-C Computer : Electronics

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hi All,
Please reply. Thank You.
Regards,
Prabhakaran

As @kanewolf mentioned, you can get them for less than $10 that aren’t branded. I’ve purchased this item from the seller twice on eBay. The second time, it didn’t work but they replaced it for free. This will only work for a 2.5 inch drive though.

Status
Not open for further replies.