[SOLVED] How come the vram overclock increased performance by ~30fps?

Baumber

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
My 980 ti has always been overclocked. I have been using +170 core and +80 memory settings since I bought it brand new. +170 is the most reliable overclock I can reach on the core. Though, I recently started playing around with the memory clock. When I run the memory clock at +150-200mhz I see a major difference in fps. For instance, I average 20-30fps more in Apex Legends.

I never thought vram overclocks gave that much performance. My thoughts are the 980 ti is crippled by its total bandwidth of only 336gb/s (my old/slower r9 290 has the same bandwidth). So by overclocking the memory, it reduces the bottleneck.

What are your thoughts?

Solution
because bandwidth increased and the card can process more information.
usually the case with bigger chups.
remove the gpu oc, crank up mem clocks until you see artifacts etc in benchmarks like 3dmark (11), back down 20mhz and test uf it runs decently stable, then drip it another 10 to 20mhz to be on the safe side.
now max power/temp/volt slider to max, and let AB scan the oc on the core..

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
because bandwidth increased and the card can process more information.
usually the case with bigger chups.
remove the gpu oc, crank up mem clocks until you see artifacts etc in benchmarks like 3dmark (11), back down 20mhz and test uf it runs decently stable, then drip it another 10 to 20mhz to be on the safe side.
now max power/temp/volt slider to max, and let AB scan the oc on the core..

Solution