How Common is BLB in 1440/165hz IPS displays? Should i just go with TN?

zombiehacker

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
I've had my 1080/7700k build for a while now, but it's been held back by my 1080@75hz monitor. Even more so considering my three biggest games; CS:GO, Rocket League, and overwatch all reach 165fps easily.

My only concern is that i've heard the QC on these panels is bad at best, and terrible at worst. There's a TN version of the Acer Predator XB241YU, called the XB271HUA (link below), am i better off just going with that?

Link: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/tN4NnQ/acer-predator-xb271hua-270-2560x1440-165hz-monitor-umhx1eea01

While TN won't have the risk of BLB, it tends to have worse colors, which also worries me. My 1080@75hz monitor is IPS, and it looks so much better (color wise) compared to the TN panel sitting right next to it, and i really don't want to give IPS up.

So, are 165hz IPS BLB issues common enough for me to get TN instead? Or should i just risk it and get IPS anyway? Thanks.

Edit: also, i need to add that the Dell 144hz TN monitor (regarded as the best TN monitor out there) isn't available in Australia. I wish it was.

Solution
Is there any way you can go through a local shop so you can maybe return it if the blb is bad? On the other hand, with the high end monitors, the screens tend to be binned better and the qc is better. I have three Dell 165hz TNs and compared to my Samsung IPS the picture quality is noticeably better on the Samsung, it's not an apples to apples, the Samsung is 4k 55in tv and the monitors are 1440/165 24in (times three). I'd go with the IPS and take the chance rather than go with the TN and know it's not quite what you wanted.
Is there any way you can go through a local shop so you can maybe return it if the blb is bad? On the other hand, with the high end monitors, the screens tend to be binned better and the qc is better. I have three Dell 165hz TNs and compared to my Samsung IPS the picture quality is noticeably better on the Samsung, it's not an apples to apples, the Samsung is 4k 55in tv and the monitors are 1440/165 24in (times three). I'd go with the IPS and take the chance rather than go with the TN and know it's not quite what you wanted.

Solution

zombiehacker

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013

I suppose that's a good point. I contacted the store i'm buying from, and they said they'd replace any monitors with bad BLB, i just don't like the idea of potentially having to wait weeks for a replacement for an item i'm paying a grand for. I've heard in reviews that the acer has the best QC, especially compared to Asus, so hopefully i get lucky.