How common is it for watercooling to fail?

lolzorz

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Ok so im considering upgrading to a corsair h100, or h100i. Ive seen many reviews saying that it will only work for a few months, but will work very well, but I never see reviews saying that it sprung a leak and killed your electronics. What are the chances that an all in one cpu cooler will actually rupture and ruin everything inside?

Solution
I have built a couple computers with the aio liquid cooling systems. While not over impressed with the results compared to custom water cooling setups. I have yet to see one fail.

And as far as liquid spills go I would not be too concerned with the aio systems. They seem to be built fairly well.

A custom water setup will set you back considerably more, but will perform better, and you also have control over the fluid inside the loop. I have had 2 leaks in past computers with my water cooling, both times gotten the mainboard and gfx card wet. Set them out to dry 2 days, plugged everything back in and both those boards are still working 3 years later. I do run distilled water in my loop though.

germz1986

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2013
I have built a couple computers with the aio liquid cooling systems. While not over impressed with the results compared to custom water cooling setups. I have yet to see one fail.

And as far as liquid spills go I would not be too concerned with the aio systems. They seem to be built fairly well.

A custom water setup will set you back considerably more, but will perform better, and you also have control over the fluid inside the loop. I have had 2 leaks in past computers with my water cooling, both times gotten the mainboard and gfx card wet. Set them out to dry 2 days, plugged everything back in and both those boards are still working 3 years later. I do run distilled water in my loop though.

Solution
Unless your in the habit of cutting the tubes yourself, I wouldn't be concerned about the thing leaking. You do get the occasional horror story (I remember one where the CPU block/pump just exploded) but that will happen with any product. A 1% failure rate on a million units will still leave you with 10,000 dead units, and they sell far more than a million of those things.

Custom water-cooling is something else entirely. The chance of a leak is inversely proportional to the time, effort and research you put into it.

lolzorz

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
So would the possible failure rate be worth the added cooling in your opinions? Im talking about water leaking, If the fan stops working I dont count that since I can just go replace the cooler.

lolzorz

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Ok then if they perform the same I think ill stay with the good old air cooling.

lolzorz

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Ok then if they perform the same I think ill stay with the good old air cooling.

TRENDING THREADS