how compressed is digital video from a digital camcorder?

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

How compressed is the digital video that comes from the typical
camcorder? I've read in some places that it achieves somewhere around a
4-5x compression over just simple 4:2:2.

Is it something like low loss MJPEG or I frame only mpeg?

tks
Don

"don" <nospam@wtez.net> schreef in bericht
> How compressed is the digital video that comes from the typical camcorder?
> I've read in some places that it achieves somewhere around a 4-5x
> compression over just simple 4:2:2.
>
> Is it something like low loss MJPEG or I frame only mpeg?

Don,

You might find many answers on
http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-tech.html#DVformats. I myself am still
filming with a Hi8 camcorder (SONY TR3200E) and used to capture my tapes
using Pinnacle's DC10plus card which uses hardware MJPEG compression. The
maximum bitrate of 6 MB/s gave me an excellent quality. However, for capture
I now use a Canopus ADVC-55 analog-to-DV converter and the quality is even
better, finer detail and less colour fringing and that at a bitrate of only
3.6 MB/sec.

I think DV compression is better than low loss MJPEG compression, simply
because the compression methods have improved.
--
Lou van Wijhe
Website: http://home.hccnet.nl/jl.van.wijhe/