How dare anyone give that kind of answer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2018
A person says:
"Trying to understand Advanced settings"

and the answer is:
"There is nothing there worth tweaking to improve performance but you could change a setting to mess everything up, if you don't know what it does don't touch it!!"

What kind of answer is that ? The person asked about the settings in details, NOT what he shouldn´t do or shouldn´t touch !

Me concern ? I has the same problem with my hardware setup, so I needed a more detailed info about each setting and what is did do... in the end of the day then can I always reset everything and start over if the hardware stops working ! It isn´t Wargame or anything close to it... just some new hardware that need to communicate with the other "kids" in the garden !

Solution
You have already been told the issue. USB 2 technology is your limiting factor. The speed of USB 2 is 480Mbps
interesting, so on the web page: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USB-AC53-Nano/specifications/ it clearly reads;
ZcuGErb.png

So its using the usb2 format but can according to specs attain; "802.11 ac : downlink up to 867 Mbps, uplink up to 867 Mbps (20/40MHz)" therefore if usb is limited to 480mb/s how can they possibly boast such a speed ?
not being the devil's advocate but trying like the @OP why they would be allowed to make such statement which are lies?

I did look around for reviews and all mention top speed with nano @ 5g is close to 300-500mpb/s many mention lack of ability to be...
To be fair to whoever answered that, it was at least an answer that erred on the side of caution.

Far worse to be advised by someone inexperienced to tinker with settings tbat could adversely affect or damage the system- which does happen far more,often on here.

It would be nice to see a link,to that thread though?
And also your own issues, someone a little more knowledgeable is likely to be of help.

What kind of answer is that ? The person asked about the settings in details, NOT what he shouldn´t do or shouldn´t touch !
Well this being a generic question (it has no specific about what settings your trying to observe or change, I would say that it is a "prudent" way to not get involve with the possible follow up that you may have and possibly may just show that person him/herself has no real idea what the setting perform and/or doesn't want to answer any related question that may happen following you going and digging into it.
perhaps if you ask the same question with the specific of the device your trying to enquire about, we may be able to provide a manual or help.

just some new hardware that need to communicate with the other "kids" in the garden !
this last note, has me pausing, why do you need to "communicate" with kids in the first place?
one would pause and consider if you currently do not have this ability why are you seeking this ability?

Whoever provided the answer, clearly has at least some experience with inexperienced people asking generic questions. Otherwise the user might indeed get into trouble by tinkering on some settings "just because". Advanced settings in BIOS are not the same as advanced settings in some game, and potential consequences are quite different.

This is one of rare cases where I would actually advise the original poster to RTFM :)

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, the basic problem is that if you can't communicate what you're trying to do or why you're trying to do it, it's impossible to give any real advice. Help is a two-way street; the person requiring help needs to effectively provide information in a form in which possible readers can understand.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

This is still not all that specific. What exactly is it you're trying to understand about the advanced settings of this product? What are you trying to do? And for what purpose?

Bad or incomplete questions lead to bad or incomplete answers.

Sep 28, 2018

The link is: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3581662/understand-advanced-settings.html
My issue was the same as petryk.cj had/has !
I just look for the translation from bip bip bip to word and sentences that I could understand.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Somehow, this *still* doesn't explain anything. While I understand that English is not your first language, it's the only language I can speak on a technical level that I can help you with your problem; my German/French/Spanish are just conversational.

I'd recommend writing a detailed description and putting it through Google Translate as it has to be better than what you've provided so far. As for me, I can't give an answer if I have no idea what the problem is. Best of luck to you.

Sep 28, 2018
Okay, make a reset in your mind... thank you !

My problem is simple:
I have a TP-Link AC1900 P5 router and a Asus AC53 Nano adapter. They should be able to talk together on the 5G system with a speed that is about 867 Mbps.
But there is a issue... how do you tweak the router and adapter to do so ?
I asked google. Google gave me this link:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3581662/understand-advanced-settings.html
Did I get an answer out of that ? Nope. Just some person that told me what not to do... and just want me to forget about it. If he didn´t know anything about why then answer ? That thread is wrongly marked as "Solved", but the person never got any usefull answer !

ANYBODY who is looking for help, online or offline, know that there will ALWAYS be a risk to take when you listen to adwises from other people, even from experts !

First issue, thats 15$ adapter, Nano adapters arent made for long distance over 5 meters at all, no antenna.... Rather buy good old ALFA (Real ALFA, yes that one).
Rather USE 2.4G, than stupid 5G, 5G doesnt do well over wall. 2.4G is more reliable, and you cannot max out 80MB/s up and down. Thats internet speed of 400Mb/s up and down.

Antenna Diversity Type
This only applies if you have two antennas, you can select which antenna to use. However, you should probably leave this to the default which automatically switches between both antennas based on the signal strength.

Enable Adaptivity
HLDiffForAdaptivity
L2HForAdaptivity
"Adaptivity" seems to relate to ETSI's (European Technology Standards Institute's) adaptive frequency hopping requirements which are mostly for Bluetooth. I note that ALFA says your adapter contains some kind of anti-Bluetooth-interference device, which is probably what this is all about. It probably has a stripped-down Bluetooth radio that simply tells other Bluetooth radios to stop using the frequencies that its Wi-Fi radio is using.

The Adaptivity settings you're seeing don't seem to have any direct correlation to parts of the ETSI adaptivity test, so it's hard for me to say what it's all about. Maybe someone with deep knowledge of how Bluetooth AFH works might know what these settings mean. Then again, maybe these settings are very specific to Realtek's or ALFA's implementation, so perhaps no one outside of Realtek or ALFA would know what they mean, since there doesn't seem to be any public documentation about them.

ldpc Cap
LDPC is Low-Density Parity Check. It's a standard part of 802.11n and 802.11ac. It allows your 802.11 transmissions to be more efficient. You want it on for both VHT and HT.

QoS Support
For media streaming and etc.

STBC cap
STBC is Space-Time Block Coding. It's a standard part of 802.11n and 802.11ac. It allows your 802.11 transmissions to be more reliable and efficient. You want it on for both VHT and HT.

Wifi Config
Self explanatory.

Source:
https://superuser.com/questions/1220823/explanation-of-advanced-settings-available-in-the-wifi-adapter-driver-properties
https://superuser.com/questions/342759/can-somebody-explain-about-wi-fi-device-manager-settings-and-power-settings-in-w

Takes a bit of googling nothing all.
Shame that companies dont put that into manual, but we have to "DIG" for it.

since there doesn't seem to be any public documentation about them.

^ good info, also the thing is windows 10 generally does a good job of automatic configuration anyway.

The underlying issue with that adapter though is that you'll NEVER see those max rated 5g speeds no matter how good the signal or how close the proximity to the router because its usb 2.

Usb2 is limited to 480 mbs.

kanewolf

Titan

I personally agree with the advice. If you don't know what it does, don't touch it. You will generally break it rather than improve it. Is it a best answer? No. That thread sat for 6+ months without the OP coming back. And that poster has NEVER comeback. It was "defaulted" as a best answer as standard cleanup on the board.
This question is also something that someone that actually desired info could have googled. But the lazy approach is to throw a question out and have somebody else do the legwork. This person wanted a quick fix. There is no "magic" setting.

Sep 28, 2018

Sep 28, 2018
I personally agree with the advice. It´s a free world.
If you don't know what it does, don't touch it. You will generally break it rather than improve it.
So how can I ever learn anything ?
Is it a best answer? No.
I didn´t look for "best" answer, but for clues to solve my hardware setup.

That thread sat for 6+ months without the OP coming back. And that poster has NEVER comeback. It was "defaulted" as a best answer as standard cleanup on the board.
I can follow your point here. But I did respond to some of the comments here.

This question is also something that someone that actually desired info could have googled.
DONT agree on that one. I did google, but you don´t get info like these that easy !
But the lazy approach is to throw a question out and have somebody else do the legwork.
I don´t see it as lazy approach when I ask people in a forum for clues to solve a problem. They´re FREE to say "no" or refuse to answer at all !
This person wanted a quick fix. There is no "magic" setting.
Well, I don´t want to spend 10 years on finding answers for a 2 year old adapter.
So when google let me down then I turn to "real" people in a forum.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Why are there 30-40 people on your router a few meters away from you? This would have been useful information at the start.

If you provided more actual information about your situation and fewer in-line complaints, maybe we would've gotten somewhere with your problem by now.

Sep 28, 2018

I have been thinking of that too... but they most, somehow, have a way to go around that...
Maybe they can use Data - and Data + at the same time to make the magic happen !
I was ordered to install the software before I could put the adapter into the USB port. So I don´t know.
But there is many adapters that claim to run that 867Mbps on USB2.0 !

first question I have is : is this a public router or a private router ?
if the ans is public router (like a school or something of the like) you will not have access to the advance settings of the said router
if it is a private router;

1. log into router with password on the label, and change your wifi password to only you and your family should be using.
why? obviously to remove all those people using your wifi for free.

2. all routers are basically build internally the same on the menus; fin the network configurations and make sure th wifi settings for speeds/distance is set to the desired/able to produce speeds ie shown in example below on my router 5GB has different choice but I can OLY choose one of those, meaning if 867mb/s is not a choice, you are never going to be given the opportunity.. you understand that...?

3. lastly your router is explain in a large Q&A list and forum support at https://www.tp-link.com/us/download/Touch-P5.html#FAQs
YjP8b62.png

First off when you read my answer you can look to the bottom and see a triangle with an exclamation point inside of it. If you believe someone is being disruptive in some way that violates Tom's rules/TOS that is the correct avenue to go down. It is then up to moderators and possibly the paid staff to decide what course of action, if any should be taken. Airing dirty laundry out here isn't the right road imo and leads to trolling. Your post reads more like a rant. Today you asked and you received a very good answer in well under 2 years. That's sarcasm directed at those who are trying to help. But it would seem you have a good answer. Is there anything else?

Sep 28, 2018

1. DONT try to make my answers into something bad... then it is on your word !
2. I did get some good answers, thanks you all for that, but I also got some answers that didn´t have anything to do with the post...
3. Sarcasm ? Try again. I just pointed out that I wasn´t lazy and didn´t go for a fast answer, BUT a SOLUTION so I could find what I was looking for ! Thats all !
4. IF you read my posts very very detailed then will you find that I DID show people here respect BEFORE anybody came with the first "answer" !
5. I have had a moderator on me all the time, if you didn´t see that !

Sep 28, 2018

Okay, let me write it so you know what I am talking about.
just some new hardware that need to communicate with the other "kids" in the garden !
just a new WiFi adapter that need to communicate with the router and modem in my home !

Status
Not open for further replies.