Question How did I make my game work?

Jul 19, 2019
The Gears of War 5 tech test is set to start at 1 PM EST time today. I pre-loaded and tried to open the game yesterday, only to be met with a black screen. The sound played, as there is a little intro clip before the live test begins. Alas, I got no picture.

I am using a GTX 980, two of them to be precise, with SLI function.

After trying just about everything under the sun, including restarting, re downloading, and trying to find Nvidia 3D panel options that don't exist on my system, I was beat. So I went to try it one last time, but my start bar wouldn't pull up. I went into task manager and clicked reset on Windows Explorer to fix it.... and now my game has picture.

At first, everything else was discolored and distorted, but after another restart my game has picture and everything else appears to be functioning as normal.

So what's wrong? Well... nothing, other than me not understanding how/why this works now when nothing has actually changed? Using Task Manager I see my GPU usage is at 4% now with the game on, where as before it was at 0. So it wasn't using my GPU before, and no option that I have tried to force it with worked, but now it just does? I'm 30 years old and am slightly above stupid according to the IQ scale.... so it really bothers me to have no idea of why this is actually working now.

Somebody PLEASE help me understand what just happened.

Windows Explorer sometimes glitches, which can cause a screen freeze, Start not appearing, etc. Restarting it in Task Manager often fixes it. To be sure there's no system file corruption you should run sfc /scannow.

This is how to do that in W10. Read the instructions thoroughly. It's necessary to paste the command line in command prompt with admin privileges, as it restores your system image file, which is the only way sfc /scannow can properly look for and fix system file corruption.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

TRENDING THREADS