How did I mess up?

valhallarising

Reputable
Sep 24, 2015
Hi i got a computer thas been running very good for a few months until a few days ago when i put in a new Graphics card it booted up without problem but the fans was loud so i tried resetting the cmos by removing battery after putting the cmos battery back in computer wont boot with either new or older Graphics cards that works in other computer.
i verifed ram and psu working in other computer and i tried with Three different cpus

so what did i do to cause this problem? i was very careful installing the new card and resetting cmos. i tried breadbording and it doesnt post so i guess its nothing else to do than to get a new one.
what i wanna know is what the hell happend? i worked with many computers changing parts and im trying to find out what caused it? static electricity? being to rough with cmos battery?

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
should boot even without battery so it's not battery but maybe static electric or you touched some mobo capacitor or circuitry and bend/harmed it without realising or perhaps moved some power connector by mistake? i usually try to not touch mobo with bare hands

By removing battery sata controller mode was reset to it's default value.
If windows was installed with sata controller in other mode than default, then windows would not boot anymore after reset.

Go to BIOS and change sata controller mode to one that was before you removed battery (there are like 3 possible sata controller mode settings).

valhallarising

Reputable
Sep 24, 2015
its not giving any output to screen im pretty sure its <mod edit>, fans spin up and hdd led is on but no post or signal
i get short beep codes maybe 2o in a row then it turns off and starts up again
i checked all Connections im not hundred percent sure its done but 99

Watch the language. - G

TRENDING THREADS