How did YOU get on with Windows 8 Installation?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
Mine is working perfectly now. It was sort of my fault. Intel Smart Response Technology was blocking my drives or something. Anyway, I disabled it and installed Windows 8 on my 32GB SSD. Boots up in under 10 seconds. :D

Procured another 'Special Offer' out of curiosity, this time I was offered 3 choices after the download had completed and verified, 'Install Now' 'Create Media' and 'Install from Desktop' so chose 'Install now' I was then asked to confirm 'Install Winows 8 Pro' and 'Keep nothing', and could have changed the choice. I chose Install and Keep nothing to see if I got a clean install this time. Only difference with this installation from the one I had trouble with is this one is Vista and the other was XP. This one is behaving itself thus far.
Famous last words. 'Windows could not complete the Installation. To Install Windows on this Computer restart the Installation'
We'll see....
Success this time. Slight difference, i used an existing M'soft account, whereas the failed install I tried to create a new one with a different email. Think moral of this story is to create media and not rely on install. Also it wasn't a 'clean' install as requested. Still have Windows Old...

majestic1805

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
I downloaded the ISO, burned it, rebooted my machine with it in the tray, selected 'Upgrade' with its requisite options, walked away for a half hour, came back and everything was faeries and rainbows, meaning everything was fine.

Technoprobe

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

Thanks for the link Dodger. I got my activated clean install after all :bounce:

Upgraded over existing os and activated.
Then did a clean install and it was already activated.