How difficult was it building your first PC?

Legolas8181

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
I am saving up to buy a top of the line gaming PC and torn between just buying a ready build PC from the same people I bought my current laptop from and building it myself. I like the idea of building cus I will have total control over what goes where and what goes in but buying is just o much easier, just click the order button and wait a few days

Build

If you can use a screwdriver and can follow simple instructions you will be fine

It will NOT save you money the first time , but you will have a better pc for the price and subsequent builds will be much cheaper as you recycle parts

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i was nervous on my first build and made a few mistakes picking pieces but the actual build was MUCH easier than i expected. i just went through the mobo manual and added things in the order they appeared in the manual until i was out of parts. was easy actually. only thing i was actually worried about was spreading the thermal compound but that went well.

if you read these forums and follow the advice you'll avoid the mistakes most make early on and will be VERY happy with your build. whatever your budget is, i know there is already 1000 threads of "what's the best for $____" read a bunch and you'll start to notice a trend of parts suggestions at that price range. do some shopping and then come back here with what you found for some advice and tweaking on what you found.

for me the research and comparison shopping is most of the fun of the build so don't deny yourself this step by simply looking for a one click option. you'll learn a lot about your pc this way.