[SOLVED] How do 6+2 PCIe cables work?

Jul 30, 2020
I’ve tried looking for the answer for a while but to no avail. As the title says, how do 6+2 cables work? Do they output less power than a dedicated 8 pin cable?

kanewolf

Titan
I’ve tried looking for the answer for a while but to no avail. As the title says, how do 6+2 cables work? Do they output less power than a dedicated 8 pin cable?
It depends. If you use 6 pins then they are lower power. If you use all 8 then they are the same.
Read the WIKI page on PCIe power -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#Power The footnote "A" explains.

Need context.

What PSU? What graphics card?

On a high level: There's two additional grounds. One of them tells the graphics card that an 8-pin is installed instead of just a 6-pin. Theoretically, 6-pin can deliver 75W while 8-pin can deliver 150W.

Jul 30, 2020
Need context.

What PSU? What graphics card?

On a high level: There's two additional grounds. One of them tells the graphics card that an 8-pin is installed instead of just a 6-pin. Theoretically, 6-pin can deliver 75W while 8-pin can deliver 150W.
My PSU is the 850W EPA Bronze PSU Air Cooled Chassis.
I am trying to power a EVGA 2060 Super SC Black.

Would using all 8 pins on the 6+2 work fine?