[SOLVED] How do fake virus webpages redirect you from another webpage?

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
Im very careful about avoiding viruses. I have an always up to date av, I scan files before and after downloading them, before running any executables or unzipping files. However when browsing online today I clicked a gamefaqs article about a particular game. After reading for a second I was redirected to a fake virus warning webpage. I alt+f4 out then I started up a full pc scan and also checked the original url on virustotal which scans urls for viruses and so forth. virus total showed the url as being clean. My pc doesn't have any viruses, I check regularly and practice safe online browsing, so how does a supposedly clean url on a reputable site redirect me to a fake virus webpage?

Solution
so how does a supposedly clean url on a reputable site redirect me to a fake virus webpage?
The ads on the page.

The websites don't source and display their own ads. They sell screen space to an ad provider. Sometimes, that ad provider lets things slip through.
In this case, a scam ad, telling you that your system is compromised.

You have no virus. But they want you to think you do, and pay them to get rid of it.

USAFRet

Titan
so how does a supposedly clean url on a reputable site redirect me to a fake virus webpage?
The ads on the page.

The websites don't source and display their own ads. They sell screen space to an ad provider. Sometimes, that ad provider lets things slip through.
In this case, a scam ad, telling you that your system is compromised.

You have no virus. But they want you to think you do, and pay them to get rid of it.

Solution

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
Virus and malware are two different things.
Some tools protect against both. But they are different.
Ive used avg free for years and have never had any issues. I believe it provides basic malware protection. Although looking through the program I cant find any info on exactly what types of malicious programs it stops specifically. Do you have a recommendation? At the time I started using AVG free it was one of the highest rated av programs reviewed on toms. I see for 2019 that has changed somewhat. I like it because it doesn't cause a lot of slowdown. I also use the file scanner to check exe's before running them which not all av programs Ive used have. I really cant imagine not having that feature.