How do i actually make videogame mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I have always wondered this, people keep telling me you just download them but i want to know how you actually make the mod itself.Like adding a car, how would i make a car for a game and import it in?Or on arma two i was in a server on wasteland and a hack popped up and transported everyone,the nukes. and it was so in depth that it displayed letters and banners across the screen with a video to the right hand corner and it even let everyone spawn things into the server by pressing f9. How does one go about making that? what specific programming do i need to know or is it all different for different games?I want to know for offline personal projects,not to make hacks.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
You need to get that particular game's mod tools or the game engine's SDK (software development kit).

For example, if you want to mod Arma, you need to go to Bohemia Interactive's site and download their mod tool suite. Then it's just a matter of digging into the software (usually plenty of tutorials available) and going through the skull-sweat of figuring out how to do what you want.

For most mods, you will not need programming skills. Most of the modern SDK's allow for the use of making flowgraphs or simple scripts to control the game logic. You can do a whole lot now without having to actually code anything.

You gave the example of adding a car. In CryEngine2 or 3, that's as simple as loading up the level you want to mod, and dropping the car (which is located in a library of the game's entities) onto the map wherever you want. Save it and done. All the hard work (modeling, animation, physics and coding) are already done by game designers and handled by the engine without needing your attention (unless you want to edit the attributes of said vehicle).

for some games thats true. but others use standard tools then use special file format creators which are used to then import the model/texture/animation into a game.
gta for example uses a proprietary file format and 3ds max mesh files.
or you can use apps like 3ds max and import your mesh directly into an sdk like the cryengine or skyrim modding tools systsm. like string points out.

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
"you can use apps like 3ds max and import your mesh directly into an sdk like the cryengine" So with that i would be able to make completely custom vehicles models?Also how would i go about being able to make my own script to launch a spawn system for these mods in singleplayer? Im completely oblivious to coding and script writing because I have never really been into it,I have always had eyes on hardware but now i want to start getting into learning how to program and all that happy stuff so i can have some fun with my games. I would imagine its more rewarding to make your mods and use them instead of download someone else's.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

In other words, you actually want to learn 3D modeling, texturing, animation rigging, and coding.

That's a big bite to chew, and it requires advanced learning of a lot of different pieces of software. I've always kind of wanted to do that too, so you have my thumbs up. I have a few friends who are pretty good at modeling, and one friend who is a programming professor with 4 different Master's degrees.

I took one of his classes in C#, and a few months into it I was about ready to force-feed myself a bullet. I have just come to accept the fact that I will never be an advanced programmer.

This stuff takes TIME to get good at. I wish I had more of it, because I think it's fascinating.

If you're looking at getting into 3D modeling, take a look at Blender. It is very capable, and used extensively by the modding communities - - and it's also FREE. 3DS Max and Maya are very expensive.

If I were you, I would pick a certain engine to get started with....there are several that you can DL for free (UnrealEngine, CryEngine, etc...). Join the official mod community for the engine you pick and start reading and completing tutorials.

Unfortunately, this is not software you can just jump into and mess around with to learn. You HAVE to get instruction and take a structured approach to learning it or you will spend countless hours in frustration.

this is as fart as i got with 3ds max...
its not to bad but i was cutting corneres in the learning process which actually made things harder... i found i didnt have the patience to clean up the models so adding textures became a real chore because of this... eventually i gave up.

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
well lets say, i used blender to make something simple like a chair. i know blender runs on python instead of c++ or java,so would that make it to where i wouldnt be able to import the chair to the game?I understand this isn't something i can pickup and just start doing but i want to know the basics of things before i get into it. Like the question i asked and how i would go about adding properties the the objects.If i download a game engine it will more than likely be cryengine.Also im wondering about for instance,i 3d render a vehicle.How would i make the vehicle and actual vehicle in game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kLT61R8eTA look here for a quick tutorial on how to make import and script a vehicle... things like this are invaluable but without the basic knowledge of how to create the vehicle in the first place you are gonna get frustrated...
get the basics down like how to use blender and how to export out of blender in a file format that cryengine can use. thats your first step. after that you can follow up on how to import it then script it for use in a game engine.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS