Understandout

Honorable
Jun 10, 2015
So my headphone socket on the front of my computer has been broken for a while now after tripping over a headphone cord. As you can see the mic socket is still intact. I'm not technical at all, so I don't know how the hell I'd go about replacing it. I don't have any tools beyond screwdrivers and even if I did, I wouldn't know how to use them... The case is a Thermaltake Core V31, but I couldn't find any spare parts for it to simply swap out the panel.

So what is the easiest and cheapest way for me to fix or replace the headphone jack or entire panel? And if there is a way to fix/replace it, can it be done with a sturdier headphone socket that won't break as easily?

zs3hTdD.jpg

P.S. I will take care of the dust :)

Solution
You have three options here.

Contact Thermaltake and ask them if a replacement front panel mini board is available.

Take the unit to an established, reputable electronics repair facility and let them replace the headphone jack.

Replace the case.

Those are pretty much your options. Unlike some other case manufacturers I don't see a publicly available list of spare sparts on their website but unless the case is more than five years old, and maybe even then, they probably have replacement front panel I/O boards for it.

Contact Thermaltake and ask them if a replacement front panel mini board is available.

Take the unit to an established, reputable electronics repair facility and let them replace the headphone jack.

Replace the case.

Those are pretty much your options. Unlike some other case manufacturers I don't see a publicly available list of spare sparts on their website but unless the case is more than five years old, and maybe even then, they probably have replacement front panel I/O boards for it.

Solution

Understandout

Honorable
Jun 10, 2015

Thanks a lot for your answer. I did contact the manufacturer now, but I don't expect them to be able/willing to help me.

I also found another potential solution, which is that there appear to be panels like this in the shape of DVD drives for 10-15 bucks, including the audio ports, USB 3.0 ports and power+reset button. So I believe it should be possible to install one of those and just switch the cables from one to the other. It'll be a bit weird to have have two front panels with all the connectors and only of them working, but it's preferable to replacing the entire case or contacting a repair facility for such a tiny repair.

0a651751fe2ecba29642a131aae90a5e8271a23b_original.jpeg