Question how do i block the feature update

shadi shtaklef

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 26, 2015
will doing the first two things on https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-update.html to disable the windows update service block windows from forcing you to upgrade to the next windows build when the current windows build is reaching end of life? logically it should work because the windows update service is disabled so it cannot download the next build and force you to restart to upgrade the windows build or will windows cheat and it will turn on the windows update service by itself so it can download the upgrade?

Last edited:

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
You are not likely to get an answer, other than this one: It is a very bad idea to try to block Windows Updates, and even more so now in the age of Windows As A Service.

The only way you are going to have a secure system is to allow updates, all updates, including feature updates.

No one has ever put it better than one of the BSOD experts from Bleeping Computer:

There really isn't a point to checking for updates and not installing them. . . It's important to install all available updates. I've been doing this since the days of DOS, and I still don't have the confidence to pick and choose among updates. There are just too many variables involved - and most people can't evaluate the full consequences of installing/not installing updates.
~ John Carrona, AKA usasma on BleepingComputer.com, http://www.carrona.org/

It is a fool's errand to believe one knows more than the people who created, and are tasked with maintaining, any OS when it comes to what updates need to be applied.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Which version are you on?

Microsoft changed how many versions they currently support to 3 once they released 1903, so if you on 1803 you likely have a few more months before you will be forced to upgrade, and if you on 1809 you have at least 9 months.

shadi shtaklef

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 26, 2015
i am seeing LOT of posts on reddit about issues that are happening after 1903 was installed. using 1903 now is like the lottery and either u are lucky and u get no issues or u are unlucky and u get issues. i dont want to take that chance and the longer i wait the better

Colif

Win 11 Master
You might be seeing what i see... only the problems, Its obvious really, only people with problems complain and can make it look far worse than it actually is
But in regard to 1903, I haven't seen the rush of problems or anything like what previous version updates have created. It was more a whimper than a thud

I must be in 1st category, I updated to 1903 and it hasn't changed anything I do on a daily basis. It was nothing at all.

In 9 months time, 1909 would have been out and you have to start waiting again

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
i am seeing LOT of posts on reddit about issues that are happening after 1903 was installed. using 1903 now is like the lottery and either u are lucky and u get no issues or u are unlucky and u get issues. i dont want to take that chance and the longer i wait the better
'issues', only from that small percentage that had a problem.
You don't see the millions more who had zero issues.

And from my experience, a lot of the people with 'issues' (during any OS update) already had some weird unsupported configuration going on.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I have seen virtually nothing in the tech press about significant issues with Version 1903, and none of the 5 systems I maintain for my household has had any issue whatsoever with it, and those have processors ranging between an Intel Pentium Dual Core and an AMD A12-9700P.

I keep trying to tell people that frequent venues such as Tom's Hardware that what we see here is in no way a representative sample of experiences. People do not turn to forums such as this one when everything goes just fine, they just continue merrily along. This is true of technical support forums of all varieties, not just computers. If you were to read your typical automotive support forum and believe what's posted on them is typical you'd believe that there has never been an automobile that functioned correctly and, if you didn't know they were already ubiquitous, would also believe "they'll never catch on."

You have to look at the broader picture, for anything, and in the case of Windows 10 Version 1903 the few issues there were were quite minimal and were resolved in the early days/weeks of the release. It's the polar opposite of what went on with Version 1809 (which, given the severity of its biggest issue, was an anomaly itself).