How Do I Bypass the HP Security On Printers to Allow Use of Off Brand Ink?

oathmark1

Commendable
May 15, 2016
I picked up a good HP Photosmart All in One printer for nothing from a woman who had it working, but as soon as she used some off brand ink sold to fit the printer (it fits exactly the same), it would not work any more.

I believe that if I order some new HP ink cartridges for it, it will work, but....

....I want to know how to bypass this synthetic security in the system that shuts down the system if I don't pay the steeper prices.

Does anyone know anything?

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Although HP ink is the most overpriced thing on planet Earth (more than diamonds, gold or perfume), using off brand cheap ink is not worth it. Cheap ink messes up the print quality and runs out or dries up quicker than HP ink.

You will buy 2 cheap cartridges for the same price as if you bought one expensive HP cartridge that works right.

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010

The flip side of that is when I bought new ink last month for $70 a new printer was $80.
But new printers come with ink cartridges that are only 1/2 way full.

USAFRet

Titan

"1/2 full" is being very generous.

oathmark1

Commendable
May 15, 2016
Half full? LOL

Someone needs to make a few products that blow them out of the water by pulling the drain on their market where everyone goes after quality and quantity rather than quality and sparsity.

I know how the corporate world works. HP is simply over bloated corporate rot merging and acquiring plus becoming too political all which are the signs they have ran out of road. They do not exist for any good. Printers are nothing new, and in fact they have spun the printer revolution backwards to the next best thing being....

...cheap, high quality printers of which the company is publically traded on the New York Stock Exchange in order to ramp up the capital leverage, so they can super nova over the whole market.....perhaps world wide. HP seems too easy to knock out in my opinion.

Remember the $1 Shave Club. They made some ads, sold a cheap product that was thousands of times cheaper that what the corporate bloated market had oligarchical racked prices up to, and orders were flying off of the shelf. It's a no brainer.

How Dollar Shave Club's Founder Built a $1 Billion Company That Changed the Industry
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/290539

oathmark1

Commendable
May 15, 2016

Maybe, but I doubt. There's not a whole lot going on in the thing, is there? Minor computer board, meager signal circuitry, a bright light, and some shaped plastic. One piece of glass.

Maybe it's the touch screen works in them.

No one can be against making a profit, but if the market is sky high fake, then it is ripe for the taking.

Ralston18

Titan
I always use "official" ink cartridges. Have a Canon MX870 that is used for printing and copying.

The need is for a printer/copier that works.

And those copies have proven invaluable a couple of times.

Not much faith in the "paperless" world...

Can purchase ink cartridges in a number of places but can turn in empty cartridges via Staples for a $2.00 credit per cartridge. Helps pay for good paper.