How do I change fan speeds on an MSI mobo?

James_384

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
I have an MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard with a DEEPCOOL Captain 360 (being replaced soon) and the three fans on the raditor are near-enough at full blast. I've tried going into the BIOS to change the speed, but the minimum on this motherboard is 50% and even setting it to that still makes them sound like a jet engine.
This is only a temp motherboard until my replacement of my X99A comes, but its just a major annoyance hearing it.
I'm running 64bit Windows 10.
Is there any way of getting them to a lower RPM?

Solution
Those 3 pins are ground, volatage and sense from left to right. The fourth missing one is PWM. Three pin headers are voltage controlled and usually only go to 50%. Is there a USB out on the controller? If so, connect it to a MB USB header. If not, set the fan speeds on the controller itself. Also, what pins are connected in the wire going into the cpu_fan header?

James_384

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016

Its a 3-pin connected that I've plugged into the cpu_fan header. They're daisy-chained into a single port that DEEPCOOL provided, then the single 3-pin is plugged into the cpu_fan pins.
Do you have any solutions? People seem to not have any luck with MSI BIOS in relation to changing the fan speeds.

No you wont change it through BIOS I dont think, and the 3 pin isnt PWM, but the fans with that cooler are. 4 pin are PWM. From the 3 pins, which have wires coming out into the main lead? Do all three, or just one? If so, which one as I am guessing its the sense wire (third from left) because cooler fans are usually controlled by software. Did you have to connect the cooler to a USB header?

James_384

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016

No, the header in which the fans are connected to is a small fan-hub. It has four 4-pin slots on its base, then a 3-pin connectors comes from the bottom, which is the one that you plug into the headers on the mobo.

Those 3 pins are ground, volatage and sense from left to right. The fourth missing one is PWM. Three pin headers are voltage controlled and usually only go to 50%. Is there a USB out on the controller? If so, connect it to a MB USB header. If not, set the fan speeds on the controller itself. Also, what pins are connected in the wire going into the cpu_fan header?

Solution