How Do I Change From Single Channel to Dual Channel?

saintsfan81

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
When I checked CPU-Z I noticed my RAM says single channel and that it is only at 400 MHz instead of 533. How do I make it dual channel and how do I bump up the freq (I assume OC)?

Mobo - ASUS M3N72-D AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI
CPU - AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core
RAM - OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit

I am running Win XP Pro SP3.

Thanks, Darth

First, check in your motherboard manual and confirm that you have the ram in the correct slots. Sometimes you alternate, sometimes you don't. I believe it should then auto dual channel. However, there are options for ganged and unganged. Ganged is a single 128 bit channel while unganged is dual 64 bit channels. My board forces unganged, but I think CPU-Z should correctly identify ganged vs. single channel.

As for the second part, see if there is a setting in the BIOS to set speed and voltage by EPP. if not, you will have to go in and manually set the timings, voltage, and speed of the ram. Look online to see which settings to change and then follow your motherboard manual on how to change them.

Have fun.

saintsfan81

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Hey thanks for the reply. My RAM was configured under the A2/B2, so I turned ganged on. That didnt work so I switched the RAM modules to the A1/B1 config. That didnt work either under ganged or unganged. CPU-Z says single channel, is there a chance CPU-Z is just reading something wrong?

I'm not sure for that particular board, but I have seen it both ways. My Asus NForce 4 SLI was Ram/Empty/Ram/Empty for dual and my recent Gigabyte boards have been Ram/Ram/Empty/Empty for dual. It may be up to the board manufacturer, but your manual should specify.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I don't know ASUS boards, but in your BIOS, can you turn off Quick Boot and Boot Logo?

On my MSI board, it will show a detailed POST view, including whether or not the RAM is in single or dual channel mode.