How do I change my 'Default Gateway'?

Batmann77

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
I'm having some troubles with my VPN at the moment, and customer supports staff has told me to "change your default gateway / network DHCP range in your router to..."

How do I do this?

Solution
Hello Batmann77

Depending on the vendor and model of your router, the settings window and its name may look different. However, the baseline for every such setting remains the same. Here is what you need to do:

> Make sure your router is connected to your computer via LAN cable. (Even though some routers allow you to manage their configurations over the wireless media, using a cable to do such things is always a safe method.)

> Open your preferred web browser.

> Type your router's IP address. (You can get the default IP address to log on to your router from its user manual. If the router was configured by someone else, you may need to contact them and ask for the IP.)

> Provide the login credentials to log in to your routers...
Hello Batmann77

Depending on the vendor and model of your router, the settings window and its name may look different. However, the baseline for every such setting remains the same. Here is what you need to do:

> Make sure your router is connected to your computer via LAN cable. (Even though some routers allow you to manage their configurations over the wireless media, using a cable to do such things is always a safe method.)

> Open your preferred web browser.

> Type your router's IP address. (You can get the default IP address to log on to your router from its user manual. If the router was configured by someone else, you may need to contact them and ask for the IP.)

> Provide the login credentials to log in to your routers console. (You can get the username and password from the router's user manual but if the configuration was done by someone else, you may need to contact that person.)

> Once inside the router's console, you need to look for and open LAN Setup.

> On this interface, you can enable or disable the DHCP feature, and can configure all your LAN settings including the default gateway for your computers and other wireless devices that you connect to the router.

Feel free to report back for further assistance.

Cheers!! :)

Solution