How do i change my windows 10 pro to windows 10 home and still keep my files?

zeek77

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
Even if were to kept in a windows.old file

I really could use some help on this.

It wont let me upgrade and keep my stuff and the other option says it will delete my stuff with no mention of an windowa.old file

Im using the media creation tool via usb

Please and thanks

Solution
I think your best bet would be to back up your files to an external drive, then proceed with the installation of Windows. You will have to re-install any programs you previously had, and then copy the files back. As others have suggested, going from Pro to Home may not create the Windows.old directory. I went from Windows 8 Pro 32 bit to Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit, and it did create the Windows.old directory, but I had all my data backed up to a spare drive to be safe.

zeek77

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
i need to do it since i lost my digital licence for the pro version since i changed my hardware , and i just bought the home version from best buy

i need to install the home version wiithout loosing my files please

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Well, how did you go from Home to Pro? After the anniversary update MS linked your hardware changes to your MS account. SO now it uses the Digital Entitlement and your MS account to activate. If you installed Pro legally your MS account should reflect that change along with the hardware. Otherwise you would need a clean install and that would wipe your files.

I think your best bet would be to back up your files to an external drive, then proceed with the installation of Windows. You will have to re-install any programs you previously had, and then copy the files back. As others have suggested, going from Pro to Home may not create the Windows.old directory. I went from Windows 8 Pro 32 bit to Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit, and it did create the Windows.old directory, but I had all my data backed up to a spare drive to be safe.

Solution

zeek77

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
Thanks guys, luckily my dad gave menhis backup 500gb portable drive thats new he never used

I found a youtube vid were i just have to change som registry strings and then media tool will let me do what i want to do with windows 10 home, if that dosent work ill just so a clean install like you all said

Ill cgeck back here when its all done