How do I change name from Nero Media Player Media Files?

I noticed that all of my AVI & MPG files are now listed in Explorer as being
Nero Media Player Media Files. I assume that somehow Nero changed these
files. How do I change these back to the correct name?

--
Thanks in advance

Remove the XXX to reply

VIDEOT <vXiXdXeXoXt@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> I noticed that all of my AVI & MPG files are now listed in Explorer
> as being Nero Media Player Media Files. I assume that somehow Nero
> changed these files. How do I change these back to the correct name?

shift & right-click > open with > choose program.
Select MediaPlayer (or whatever else you want).
Select "always use the selected program to open this kind of file".

Mike

That is just the regular way to change file associations but it doesn't
work. The next time I log on the files revert to the way they were. Even
when I choose to always to open with this program I get to see no change.
Is there a limit to the amount of files that can be changed?

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> VIDEOT <vXiXdXeXoXt@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> > I noticed that all of my AVI & MPG files are now listed in Explorer
> > as being Nero Media Player Media Files. I assume that somehow Nero
> > changed these files. How do I change these back to the correct name?
>

> shift & right-click > open with > choose program.
> Select MediaPlayer (or whatever else you want).
> Select "always use the selected program to open this kind of file".
>
> Mike

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 15:19:02 +0800, "VIDEOT"
<vXiXdXeXoXt@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>That is just the regular way to change file associations but it doesn't
>work. The next time I log on the files revert to the way they were. Even
>when I choose to always to open with this program I get to see no change.
>Is there a limit to the amount of files that can be changed?

You associate an extension with a program -wether there are many files
with that extension, or none.

If no other solution becomes available, you may have to uninstall Nero
Media Player (I did that myself).

Bariloche <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in

> On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 15:19:02 +0800, "VIDEOT"
> <vXiXdXeXoXt@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>>That is just the regular way to change file associations but it
>>doesn't work. The next time I log on the files revert to the way
>>they were. Even when I choose to always to open with this program
>>I get to see no change. Is there a limit to the amount of files
>>that can be changed?
>
> You associate an extension with a program -wether there are many
> files with that extension, or none.
>
> If no other solution becomes available, you may have to uninstall
> Nero Media Player (I did that myself).

It's not really that bad.

In a Windows Explorer window, open Tools | Folder Options | File
Types.

Go to one of the files of interest and select it (click on it).
Press the Advanced button and edit the name.

I just changed an AVI file from Nero ShowTime File to Gino File.
That's what now shows when I right-click an AVI file.

It still opens in Nero, since I didn't edit the "Opens with" field,
but I could have changed it to Windows Media Player or MS Word :)
or whatever. That is done with the Change button, just above the
Advanced button that I mentioned, and you select the opener file
from a list, so it's not too hard.

A minor point: change the name after you change the file association
- changing the file association seems to clear the name field...

Of course, you would want to use the right name and also change the
associated file. It's not hard, it's just tedious, since Nero takes
over so many file types :-(

Wouldn't it be nice if they had had the courtesy to a) give you the
options of (selectively by file type) not doing the change, and b)
(selectively by file type) going back to the original at will.
However, I don't see it in their options (I didn't try very hard).

HTH,
Giino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 21:29:38 GMT, "Gene E. Bloch"
<hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> wrote:

>Wouldn't it be nice if they had had the courtesy to a) give you the
>options of (selectively by file type) not doing the change, and b)
>(selectively by file type) going back to the original at will.

The ATI player is even worse, as it changes -without asking- the
Properties page.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had the right to demand them at court for
abuse? That would stop them. But Microsoft was sued for nothing, so
there's no hope.

> On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 21:29:38 GMT, "Gene E. Bloch"
> <hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Wouldn't it be nice if they had had the courtesy to a) give you the
>>options of (selectively by file type) not doing the change, and b)
>>(selectively by file type) going back to the original at will.
>
> The ATI player is even worse, as it changes -without asking- the
> Properties page.
>
> Wouldn't it be nice if we had the right to demand them at court for
> abuse? That would stop them. But Microsoft was sued for nothing, so
> there's no hope.

The only hope is to get good at registry work, or get the ACLU
interested (or the overseas equivalent), or something...

I'm not sure why I didn't install the ATI player, but thanks to your
information, I am now glad I didn't.

Gino