Question How do I change power settings of Wi-Fi card on Asus Rog Strix G513Q? How do I change multiple Windows settings with Asus firmware?

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
My girl got this laptop and this is the reason why I hate laptops from Asus. It is an Asus Rog Strix g513Q. The Wi-Fi card is a mediatek. Never heard of it. Anyways, when I don’t plug in the laptop, the Wi-Fi card works just fine. As soon as I plug in the charger, the screen turns off, then comes right back on(changing power modes I assume cause laptops do that automatically without you having any control of it). However, the card will then get this yellow triangle saying that the device is no longer working properly. I then have to shut off the computer and turn it back on multiple times when it’s plugged in to make it work. I believe the card is disabling to save power or something even though I am plugging it in and is glitching. I went into device manager and there are no power management tab for the Wi-Fi card in there. Probs cause of Asus firmware blocking it because I saw videos online and this card does have that tab for non Asus laptops.

How can I disable Asus from saving power so that black screen doesn’t appear when I plug in? To just make it run at a constant. How do I get the power management mode tab for the Wi-Fi card? How can I make Ultimate performance mode show up in power options? I tried installing the package on power shell but Asus only lets me keep the balanced mode. Is there a way to disable the on board graphics so it uses just the GPU installed even if it doesn’t have a MUX switch? Cause she has an RTX 3070 which ik is weaker in laptops but she will only get 140 or so frames in simple to run games like League or Valorant. Just in general, is there a way to remove all of this Asus firmware to actually use the laptop?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
with a new lapto, the first thing i do is a fresh install from my own media. this removes all that bloat that tends to come with any laptop.

you can try a simple reset through windows but it might put all that bloat back as it does. hit or miss on that happening, just got to try it and see.

as a time saver i just do a fresh install as it often takes less time than playing with reset and all the other time wasters. then once you have just windows get the drivers for the wifi card straight from mediatech and see if that gives you what you are hoping to find. could be a fake limit put in place that is not in the official drivers.

Reactions: Yoiji

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
with a new lapto, the first thing i do is a fresh install from my own media. this removes all that bloat that tends to come with any laptop.

you can try a simple reset through windows but it might put all that bloat back as it does. hit or miss on that happening, just got to try it and see.

as a time saver i just do a fresh install as it often takes less time than playing with reset and all the other time wasters. then once you have just windows get the drivers for the wifi card straight from mediatech and see if that gives you what you are hoping to find. could be a fake limit put in place that is not in the official drivers.
@Math Geek here is the thing, I don’t know how to do a fresh install of windows. Is there a video on how to do it? Also, is there anyway to stop the switching of integrated graphics and normal graphics without a mux switch? Cause it seems to me that the Asus firmware is the only thing that switches between the graphics so deleting it would mean I lose access to the main card no?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the switching back and forth is part of the design to save power.

if you don't know how to fresh install windows, then honestly you should not be messing with anything else. lots to mess up if you fiddle with the wrong settings. it's not hard to install windows but you can mess up if you are not careful.

here is a simple tutorial on how to do it.

use the part titled "How to Get Installation Media and Do a Clean Install of Windows 10"