Question How do I change Windows 10 from AHCI to AMD RAID?

krashd8

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
Emphasis on the AMD.

I have found dozens of articles that state that you either need to boot into safe boot and let Windows install the driver or you enable the driver by altering a few registry entries from a '3' to a '0' (iaStor, iaStorSVC, ahciStor, etc), some articles state that you need to do a combination of both these things, but I came to the conclusion that these articles are only relevant if you have an Intel chipset (though not one of the articles mentions as such).

So, how do you switch from AHCI to RAID if you have an AMD chipset, namely the X370?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

Is there an entry in the above key that enables AMD RAID, seeing as there are entries that do the same for Intel RAID? I find it a bit weird that you would be able to enable or disable a myriad of different boot configurations here but not one that enables AMD RAID.

The only "solution" I have found so far is the following question on SuperUser.com where the guy asking the same question I am manages to solve it himself via some clever file hacking but his answer is almost a decade old, is likely for a different version of Windows, and both the name of his .inf file and the contents of that file are nothing like the .inf files that came with my driver...
https://superuser.com/questions/300...an-amd-raid-driver-after-windows-installation

Any ideas, people?

PS. I'm not interested in Windows built-in mirroring or the new Storage Spaces thing. I'm using mirroring now and every time Windows fails to shut down properly my C:\ drive has to spend 5 hours re-synchronising, I've also heard you can't boot from a Storage Spaces pool which rules that out completely.

krashd8

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
It's an MSI X370 Gaming Titanium, but those PDF instructions are identical to mine. They are both for setting up a RAID array and installing Windows on it, but I already have Windows installed and it uses AHCI, I need to find out how to change Windows to boot from RAID otherwise any time I switch the BIOS from AHCI to RAID it causes Windows to fail to boot.

Can't install RAID drivers unless you are booted into RAID.
Can't boot into RAID unless you have installed RAID drivers.
It's a catch-22.

Except if you have an Intel, Microsoft, Via, Adaptec, etc chipset because they all have drivers pre-installed in Windows that can simply be enabled or disabled in the registry. Not so for AMD chipsets, so I'm hoping someone who has survived this obstacle can shed some light on the procedure.