How do I channel Broadband modem internet to house Router?

nostro200

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
My ISP is a BIT slow (less than 1mb/s) where the best speed in the area is 3,5mb/s (my cousins speed is that and he lives 100m from me)

If I go to the roof of the house I can get good speeds like 15mb/s with the phone's mobile data and a broadband usb pen that I have. Problem is that I need the internet INSIDE the house (where it's like a BUNKER , no kind of radio waves can enter).

So, basically I want to put the Broadband pen outside (well protected from the elements) and use cables to connect it to the Router I have inside the house, where then, it can distribute the internet to all computers. Something like this

5kchAdP.jpg

Question is, can I use simple adaptors like this USB to RJ11 or it has to be USB to RJ45

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They sell point to point wireless devices designed for the outdoors. Contact your provider, or start shopping on ebay for compatible devices.

Typical 3G devices expect a signal from every direction, and thus aren't optimized. Point to point wireless devices are directed antennae with very good signal strength in a single direction. You point it in the general direction of the nearest cell tower and you might even get more bandwidth.

stu17323

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017
Unfortunately you can't just throw an adapter on the 4G modem's male usb and connect it straight to the ethernet port on the router. You will need a device capable of running the correct drivers for the modem with a usb port such as a router that features 4G modem connectivity or a computer. It will be connected via usb not ethernet.

If your router does not natively support 4G modems but has a usb port you may be able to flash other firmware such as Open-wrt which would allow you to install the necessary drivers.

nostro200

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
Ok so, what about a modem like this . It hasa micro USB entry. My father has one and he just connects it directly to the computer and it works (but still it's inside the house where it gets little signal)
There is no other way but to try.

To be honest, this is such a common problem that I see over and over again that I do not understand How this sytem that I proprose isnt made possible... it just makes sense man! It fustrates me how I have constant High speed internet just wavering by my roof and I just cant get it channelled to my router!

stu17323

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017

If I were you I would simply buy a 3G/4G modem with a built in router. From one of these you could directly connect to it via wifi or run an ethernet cable to another WAP in the building.

https://editorsean.com/articles/pick-right-router-3g4g-broadband/

nostro200

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
Well, I will buy a USB to RJ45 adaptor for 0,50€ and then try to make it work. I mean, look at the router settings to setup a internet via RJ45 here

Question is, should I use THIS adaptor (that is simply an adaptor) or THIS that has a LAN card incorportated?

I am going to bet that is just a adapter that lets you run USB over ethernet wiring...it purely is wire connectors it contains no electronics.

Even if you were to get a real USB to ethernet adapter that is not your problem.

If you were to plug the USB 3g/4g modem into a computer you would have to load a device driver. The problem is how do you get that device driver loaded into something that is not a computer that you plugged the modem into.

You would have to find a router that supports your particular modem....it many time must have support for your particular ISP since many use the same hardware but the drivers are a little difference.

The router manufacture needs to have loaded the correct device drivers into the router OS.

Asus router support a large range of modem, TPlink has a slightly smaller list. The largest list is DD-WRT but you must have a router you can load the third party firmware in (many Asus and tplink model support dd-wrt) and you have to be willing to deal with loading third party firmware.

You are going to be somewhat limited on how far you can place the USB modem outside, I think it is 15ft usb cable length. You of course could hook it to the router and then ethernet farther into the house and use another router/ap to provide wireless.

nostro200

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015

Well, if it works, then I will just have to buy like 20 meters of RJ45 cable... (it will be pure luck for it to work)

stu17323

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017

It WILL NOT WORK as explained by both me and bill001g. You have wasted our time.

nostro200

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015

okkkay :lol:

USAFRet

Titan

I've seen some blogs and instruction sets that are more useless than that one.
But not many.

That seemingly has nothing to do with what you are trying to do.

nostro200

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015