Question How do I check my phones hardware components?

Sep 17, 2019
Hello,

I recently bought a used Sony Xperia Z5 on ebay. According to the listing, it wouldn't read the SIM.
However, I tried it and it read the SIM card without any problems, asked for the pin and it seems to work. But then it won't connect to any mobile networks. I get no signal, can't call or be called. The settings say that there are no networks available. I've tried two sim cards, both work in other phones. The Xperia can connect to the wifi without any issues aswell.

I replaced the main antenna array with a new one, but that didn't do any good either.

I don't mind tinkering with this phone to get it working again, but I'd like to know if there is any way of actually finding out which component is faulty? Google searches are frustratingly unhelpful in this area.
I figure it might be the antenna, or... well, anything really, but I don't know how to check.

Any help would really be appreciated! :)

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I have no idea what market that specific Xperia was made for, but that could be the issue in and of itself.

It doesn't matter if it can read the SIM card perfectly well if the device itself does not use the same GSM bands as your carrier does.

That's one of the things one has to check carefully when shopping for unlocked phones for any given market, as sometimes even the international versions may not use the same bands as the service provider in a given country. I cannot find the Z5 model on https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
the device seems to be for the same area

Based on what? And I ask that not to provoke, either. The devices are visually indistinguishable for all markets (generally) and you often have to dig in to "what's beneath the battery" for models where you have the major information sticker available via that route or by disassembling (which I never recommend, ever).

Sep 17, 2019
Based on what? And I ask that not to provoke, either. The devices are visually indistinguishable for all markets (generally) and you often have to dig in to "what's beneath the battery" for models where you have the major information sticker available via that route or by disassembling (which I never recommend, ever).
Based on the fact that I bought the phone on german ebay from a german guy, that it was set up in german and that he sold it as non functioning.
There's no sticker beneath the battery (I already took it apart a bit, based on a teardown guide). Of course, it could be that this phone is from a different GSM band area, but I think a faulty hardware component is the far more likely cause.

So once again, how do I check to find out which component isn't working?

Yonose

Distinguished

TRENDING THREADS