[SOLVED] How do I check / switch to 5ghz?

Jake311202

Prominent
Apr 23, 2020
Hi, I am on a sky Q router and i phoned up as I get random lag spikes to my network provider and they told me I was on the fastest possible wifi they can offer, I am planning on drilling a hole through my wall to connect my pc to the router with a Ethernet cable.
Before I do this I want to know if I’m on 2.4 or 5ghz connection

1: how do I check this?

2: how big of a difference does it make?

3: how do I change from 2.4ghz to 5ghz if my router is capable of it

4: does Ethernet / wifi support both of them?

Solution
Hello, to check this go to the bottom right of your computer screen and you will see a little sideways wifi symbol. Click on this and you can see the available networks. If the network name has 5G beside it, it is 5G. If not, look for your connection in 5G but some (mostly older) computers do not have 5G compatible wifi cards in them. 5G is much faster than 2.4 but has far less range. Ethernet is the same or faster than wifi as there is no wireless signal involved and it is limited by your router and ISP.

Tfo052

Reputable
Dec 23, 2016
Hello, to check this go to the bottom right of your computer screen and you will see a little sideways wifi symbol. Click on this and you can see the available networks. If the network name has 5G beside it, it is 5G. If not, look for your connection in 5G but some (mostly older) computers do not have 5G compatible wifi cards in them. 5G is much faster than 2.4 but has far less range. Ethernet is the same or faster than wifi as there is no wireless signal involved and it is limited by your router and ISP.

Solution