[SOLVED] How do I check to see if my RAM is running at the specs it's supposed to?

Jawzzzzz

Commendable
Nov 23, 2021
I've read that sometimes people install ram and it's not operating with it's expected capacity/specs. And I hear that some people have to use XMP (not exactly sure what that is).
I just got a new PC and want to make sure my ram is good. Can any one help with how I can check? My ram is:
G.Skill TridentZ Neo - 32gb (16+16), 3600mhz, 16CL, DDR4
View: https://imgur.com/a/549Li5J

Solution
The DRAM Frequency value is half the DDR value (as DDR stands for Double Data Rate). Since it's near 1800, it's good. You can check the the first four latency values as well to make sure they line up with the specs, but I wouldn't worry about that too much.
The DRAM Frequency value is half the DDR value (as DDR stands for Double Data Rate). Since it's near 1800, it's good. You can check the the first four latency values as well to make sure they line up with the specs, but I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Solution

Jawzzzzz

Commendable
Nov 23, 2021
There's a second picture in my post that I think shows the latency. Does it look ok?

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
The timings are off. They should be 16 16 16 36. The same thing happened to me when I put my build together. You have to enable DOCP in the BIOS. This will set the memory to the correct specs.

Edit: I just looked up the RAM kit you have and it is at the correct timings. I am confused why your picture shows 32GB when you have a 16GB kit. Are you using 8GBx4 sticks? I am also not sure why your picture shows part number F4-3600C16-16GTZNC. All of the kits on G. Skills website show part numbers that have a letter after the 16 in the 3600C16 portion of the part number. For example the kit I think you have should be an F4-3600C16D-16GTZNC. What is the exact part number of the kit you bought and how many kits did you buy?

Last edited:

Jawzzzzz

Commendable
Nov 23, 2021
The timings are off. They should be 16 16 16 36. The same thing happened to me when I put my build together. You have to enable DOCP in the BIOS. This will set the memory to the correct specs.

Edit: I just looked up the RAM kit you have and it is at the correct timings. I am confused why your picture shows 32GB when you have a 16GB kit. Are you using 8GBx4 sticks? I am also not sure why your picture shows part number F4-3600C16-16GTZNC. All of the kits on G. Skills website show part numbers that have a letter after the 16 in the 3600C16 portion of the part number. For example the kit I think you have should be an F4-3600C16D-16GTZNC. What is the exact part number of the kit you bought and how many kits did you buy?

I have 2x16GB for 32GB total. The part number on the box shows what you said it should be F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC. Does everything look ok then?

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
The weird part is your SPD tab shows a different part number. That's what threw me off. I am guessing it is reading a part number for an individual stick as I see it has slot 2 in the drop down box on the SPD tab.

I am using CPU Z ROG edition and for some reason my SPD page is entirely blank so I don't have anything to reference on my build.

According to the G. Skill website your RAM is running at the correct speed and timings. Sorry for any confusion, it was on my part. On a side note, how are you liking your new monster?

Jawzzzzz

Commendable
Nov 23, 2021
The weird part is your SPD tab shows a different part number. That's what threw me off. I am guessing it is reading a part number for an individual stick as I see it has slot 2 in the drop down box on the SPD tab.

I am using CPU Z ROG edition and for some reason my SPD page is entirely blank so I don't have anything to reference on my build.

According to the G. Skill website your RAM is running at the correct speed and timings. Sorry for any confusion, it was on my part. On a side note, how are you liking your new monster?

For me it's blank to because it starts off with slot 1. On the top right there's a drop down menu where i chose slot 2 and i got the numbers. Not sure if that works for you.
All good, thanks for looking into it! Been a great help so far.

I just finished loading all my documents and stuff so it's good but it's not complete yet. I'm using my old 1050 TI lol. I can't find a 3080 at the moment. So i'm driving a ferrari with a camry engine at the moment

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
For me it's blank to because it starts off with slot 1. On the top right there's a drop down menu where i chose slot 2 and i got the numbers. Not sure if that works for you.
All good, thanks for looking into it! Been a great help so far.

I just finished loading all my documents and stuff so it's good but it's not complete yet. I'm using my old 1050 TI lol. I can't find a 3080 at the moment. So i'm driving a ferrari with a camry engine at the moment
I completely overlooked the dropdown box for the slots on my CPU Z.

I bit the bullet and paid double for a 3080. Bad timing with my 1080ti dying on me.

Jawzzzzz

Commendable
Nov 23, 2021
I completely overlooked the dropdown box for the slots on my CPU Z.

I bit the bullet and paid double for a 3080. Bad timing with my 1080ti dying on me.
Ya i'm at that reality right now. I'm willing to bite the bullet and over pay too but it's just an availabilty issue now. no stores have it around me and when they do they're gone in minutes.