[SOLVED] How do i clean pc?

Skwere

Prominent
Feb 27, 2019
So i want to clean my pc but all the tutorials i have watched uses air compressers, vaccums and some kind of liquid.

I just wanna clean out the dust especially the gpu on the heatsink and i really do want to know how the clean the circuit board of the gpu and motherboard.
Can i just wipe it with some cloth or maybe cotton buds? Or will that break my gpu?

What tools or materials do i need that i dont need to buy?

Reactions: Rdslw
Solution
1. always power off stuff 15 min before you start. cables out included and push the power button to drain any power in circut.

it really depends how hard you want to be on breaking it apart.
if you want to unmount gpu, gpu cooler, cpu cooler then you can just wash the radiators under water, mount fans back, repaste and done.
so all you need is:
compressed air can (for mobo and circuits),
water for RADIATORS ONLY.
paste to reapply thermal compound.
normal kitchen towel (paper single use ones)

if you want to just do the external without re-mounting:
compressed air can (for all of it), remember to keep the fans from turning.
you can use cotton buds to remove big dust pieces if they are stuck.
keep the vacum a bit away from where you...
So i want to clean my pc but all the tutorials i have watched uses air compressers, vaccums and some kind of liquid.

I just wanna clean out the dust especially the gpu on the heatsink and i really do want to know how the clean the circuit board of the gpu and motherboard.
Can i just wipe it with some cloth or maybe cotton buds? Or will that break my gpu?

What tools or materials do i need that i dont need to buy?

Buy a can of Compressed Air Duster, you can buy them on Amazon, at Homedepot, Walmart, Officemax etc.

Then while the computer is off blow out the fans, coolers etc. Make sure to hold the fans when you blow them so they dont go crazy fast as the air hits the, although its unlikely that it can damage anything it is recommended.

You can use a very lightly damp paper towel to wipe down anything non electronic like the case, fan blades, even the tops of HDD and SSDs. Again anything that is not exposed electronics is generaly safe to wipe down.

If your computer case has dust filters, remove them and either use the can of air to blow them out or run them under some water until clean. If you opt for water be sure to dry them as much as you can with a towel before you put them back in your PC, you don't want water to blow onto anything.

1. always power off stuff 15 min before you start. cables out included and push the power button to drain any power in circut.

if you want to unmount gpu, gpu cooler, cpu cooler then you can just wash the radiators under water, mount fans back, repaste and done.
so all you need is:

keep the vacum a bit away from where you spray, so it will collect dust instead of letting it fly everywhere, or do it outside.

if you want cloth, it have to be anti-static one. can is (~2-3$) enough for multiple usages (4 or 5 cleanups)

Solution

Skwere

Prominent
Feb 27, 2019

so all you need is:

keep the vacum a bit away from where you spray, so it will collect dust instead of letting it fly everywhere, or do it outside.

if you want cloth, it have to be anti-static one. can is (~2-3$) enough for multiple usages (4 or 5 cleanups)
So i cant buy anything until lockdown is over so ill just ask what does anti static cloth do?
Can i use brushes for hard to reach areas? Like the gpu will it cause issues?

So i cant buy anything until lockdown is over so ill just ask what does anti static cloth do?
Can i use brushes for hard to reach areas? Like the gpu will it cause issues?
if you really let your PC dust a lot (and have humidity) then it becomes to solid for just air to blow it out, you might need to rub a bit. if you do it with normal cloth, you will cause static electricity that may damage your build (its hard to cause damage that way but it's not impossible).