How do I clean the acrylic side of my PC case??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leadbelly78

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
How do I clean the acrylic side of my Graphite 760T PC case??
I removed it so I'm not worried about Static Shock. Some people suggest Microfiber, others say no.
It shouldn't be that hard should it?
Thanks in advanced.

Solution
Glass cleaner isn't a good idea unless you're sure it's safe with the panel you're cleaning. It can easily harm some plastics. Not sure I'd use newspaper either. Generally I use the same cleaner on my case window that I do my lcd screen. If I'm not mistaken it's mostly distilled water and a little bit of alcohol, same stuff as lens cleaner sold for sunglasses and things. That along with a microfiber cloth. A few sprays of the cleaner on the cloth, just enough to moisten it and gently wipe the window.

There are different types of acrylic, cell cast and extruded. Extruded is softer and scratches easier. I wouldn't use paper towels (they scratch believe it or not) and I would avoid ammonia and anything with heavy alcohol. If it's safe...

jackal575

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

It should be fine, any will do.. if you are worried, you can get natural stuff which uses vinegar.

Glass cleaner is great for glossy non-porous surfaces since it dries without streaks, I use it for all sorts - monitors in particular

jackal575

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

It just works, newspaper is great because the fibres in the paper don't come out very easily so they won't be left behind on the side of your case. Try cleaning your window with tissue paper and then try with newspaper, you'll see what I mean

jackal575

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Acrylic is acrylic... It's not like there is a cheaper version of the stuff which scratches more easily and is used in cases.

Sure a microfibre cloth would work but if the dust on the surface has any sort of abrasive properties, you will do more harm than good

jackal575

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

I'm not surprised you find scratches when you use microfibre like a piece of sandpaper!

The glass cleaner cleans and lubricates, allowing the paper to slide over the surface easily

Glass cleaner isn't a good idea unless you're sure it's safe with the panel you're cleaning. It can easily harm some plastics. Not sure I'd use newspaper either. Generally I use the same cleaner on my case window that I do my lcd screen. If I'm not mistaken it's mostly distilled water and a little bit of alcohol, same stuff as lens cleaner sold for sunglasses and things. That along with a microfiber cloth. A few sprays of the cleaner on the cloth, just enough to moisten it and gently wipe the window.

There are different types of acrylic, cell cast and extruded. Extruded is softer and scratches easier. I wouldn't use paper towels (they scratch believe it or not) and I would avoid ammonia and anything with heavy alcohol. If it's safe enough for lcd screens it's gentle enough for side panel windows.

Something like one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/Screen-Cleaner-Kit-Computer-Microfiber/dp/B0047E8DN6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1471262979&sr=1-2&keywords=lcd+cleaner

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F5L034-Screen-Cleaning-Kit/dp/B001NIEK3Q/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1471262979&sr=1-3&keywords=lcd+cleaner

Handy to have around since most people are using lcd screen monitors and flat panel televisions these days. Same thing used to keep those clean.

Solution

Leadbelly78

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
Thanks all.
I used vinegar and some very, very soft microfiber and it worked just fine.
I have a few old scratches but that's because a friend of mine slammed the window.
If I get really screw up, or bump the window, I have another window.

Status
Not open for further replies.