how do i clear the cache in one of my RAID0 hard drives? when i boot one of the hard drives is coming up with "Error Occurred

teh_admiral

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
here's my build:

motherboard: msi Z87-G45 GAMING
video card: ASUS GEFORCE GTX 770
RAM: BALLISTIX 32GB (8GBx4) DDR3L-1600 CL9 UDIMM Sport VLP
RAID0: PNY SSD 240GB 2.5" SATA 6GB/s (x2)
processor: intel CORE i7
monitors: AOC 20" generic plug-n-play & AOC 27"

here's what happened:

I turned off both monitors, unplugged the 27" from the HDMI (the 20" is hooked to the DVI), and plugged in my 50" plasma to the HDMI. i was watching a DVD, paused the DVD, switched inputs on the plasma from my PC to my cable TV. I kept watching World Cup, so my computer fell asleep (monitor off after 15 min., hard drives off after 1 hour.) Then i unplugged the plasma HDMI from my PC and plugged back in my 27" monitor and tried to wake up my computer. Instead it restarted itself and upon start-up went into recovery or something (i wasn't next to the PC, so it went into recovery mode on its own because boot normally wasn't selected in time.) When I saw it i was like, "wtf?" so i turned my PC off and back on. Upon boot-up one of the two SSD in my RAID0 was listed as "Error Occurred (0)" yet somehow i am able to boot-up after a couple restarts and have backed up my User to my internal storage hard drive (Toshiba 2TB.) When entering the Intel Rapid Storage Technology program, my RAID0 is listed as "FAILED." I can only assume the critical Windows files are in the working SSD, and the other SSD is basically off.

here's my assumed solution and question:

i feel like if i were able to clear the cache in the "frozen" SSD my RAID0 would be back to normal. in the meantime i guess i can use my PC as-is. i would love a solution that does not include format and re-install, but i am willing to since i've backed up my user and my files are on the Toshiba... someone please help!! will wiping the cache work?? is that even possible??

Thank you!!!!!!

No, and I'm afraid that this doesn't make sense. If you have two drives in RAID0, if either one fails then all of the data is gone. You could not possibly boot from files on one of the two drives; all the files are split between the two drives. Sure it was RAID 0, and not RAID 1?

teh_admiral

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to reply!!

That's precisely what I thought. I don't understand how I can have an error and still boot. My 10 yr. old RAID0 went down because of hard drive issues (probably downloading something I shouldn't have back then), and I had to format both and reinstall...

I also don't understand why my PC now will boot but not on the first try every time. I can shut down my PC normally, and on the next boot the recovery option will come up saying last time there was some error that necessitates recovery...

This is my big quandary: if one SSD out of my RAID0 is messed up, how can I boot? If it is NOT messed up, why does my PC think there's an error on one SSD? And what error can that possibly be?

I'm on my phone now, so when I get back I'll try to upload a picture...

Thank you again for replying!!!

TyrOd

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

It's pretty rare for an SSD to be failing intermittently like a hard drive might, though not impossible.

If the drive is unstable because of a secondary component failing and the controller is OK, then you can get power fluctuations causing on and off failure.

TRENDING THREADS