How do I clone Audio signal from optical on MOBO and send through HDMI with video out?

HotelCharliHIll

Honorable
Feb 8, 2015
I am streaming. I have been streaming for over a year but after updating my monitor AND my display method (DisplayPort), I need to rethink how I capture.

I used to run HDMI (video and audio) from my GAMING PC through a splitter to a pioneer receiver and to a 1080p 60hz tv (hence why the change) and then to the AverMedia LGHD2 GC570 capture card (incredible card by the way) in my STREAMING PC.

NOW, I have a gaming monitor running 1440p at 144hz (much better for gaming). It goes through displayport cable to from gaming pc directly to the monitor. I figured out I can clone my video to the monitor and send it out the HDMI cable from my video card (Nvidia gtx 1080ti) to the streaming PC. So it captures the video. But the audio is not sending through hdmi because I have plugged in a gaming headset now (used to use HDMI to the pioneer receiver) via optical on the mobo. So now audio signal goes through that and not the HDMI to the capture card. Thus on OBS "LGHD2" in the audio display of course shows that no sound signal is transfered or captured.

TLDR; How do I clone the audio signal from optical out on my mobo so it goes out HDMI along with the video on my GPU? (and no, going in playback devices and recording and "listening to" some device has not worked)

Thanks everyone!

HotelCharliHIll

Honorable
Feb 8, 2015
the answer is... drum roll please..... you can't. I tried. I was using voicemeeter banana or something and capture audio and sending it via a stereo cable from the gaming pc to the streaming pc's lghd2's audio line in for capture. This caused my headphone to capture all audio and resend it through the mic. anyone I played with heard double. Not sure why but no good because then audio will be capture twice too.

So i've bought a spdif splitter, cord to come out of my gaming pc and go to the splitter, then another spdif cable from that splitter to a spdif/digital to stereo 3.5mm converter (powered by usb). that stereo line will go in the lghd2's audio line in for capture, and my headphones digital line will leave the splitter and go to my headset. I don't predict any latency. haven't tried yet. but i'm sure it will be fine. And a splitter does not alter the signal apparently.

If I'm reading this right, what you're basically trying to do is have the game audio to two separate output devices at the same time. This can *sometimes* be done, with application support.

Windows wants to send all audio out to whatever device is listed as the Default Audio Output Device in the Windows Control Panel. However, applications can override this and have the option to select a different audio output instead.

I think no matter what, you need a software solution that captures the audio/video then outputs to the streaming PC over HDMI, rather then trying to force Windows to do something that it really doesn't want to do.