Question How do I configure my router's password recovery?

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
If you need to recover your router's password then you need to connect to your router. That SMTP has nothing to do with your router credentials and must be accessed by a default IP address and it's usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. And the default is usally admin password or blank etc...

If you completely forgotten the password itself then you need to reset your router to factory defaults so you can access it and then change your email or your storage settings etc... You can do this by pressing a reset button on the back or under your router and holding it for a while but always check your manufacturer's manual in greater detail, hopefully that helps, Good luck!

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
If you need to recover your router's password then you need to connect to your router. That SMTP has nothing to do with your router credentials and must be accessed by a default IP address and it's usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. And the default is usally admin password or blank etc...

If you completely forgotten the password itself then you need to reset your router to factory defaults so you can access it and then change your email or your storage settings etc... You can do this by pressing a reset button on the back or under your router and holding it for a while but always check your manufacturer's manual in greater detail, hopefully that helps, Good luck!

No. I am telling you that my router specifically allows for password recovery as shown in the picture in my screenshot. TP-Link. Could you tell me what I am supposed to input in 'to' and 'from'?

No. I am telling you that my router specifically allows for password recovery as shown in the picture in my screenshot. TP-Link. Could you tell me what I am supposed to input in 'to' and 'from'?

The from is one of your smtp email addresses (myaddress@isp.com). The To is an address you wish to send the email link too (ie: myaddress@gmail.com). Obviously pick one you can get easy access to. You'll need the smtp mail address for your service provider for the from field. Yahoo/Gmail/Hotmail don't really like to accept generic smtp/pop request because they can be abused for spam and allow you to avoid advertising. (There are exceptions for this rule if you verify the account for use by an app.)

To be honest this is not the best way to handle this. The best way to handle this is tape the password(s) to the bottom of the router in case you forget. Remote administration on consumer routers is an easy way to get hacked.

Unless u have smart-aleck kids in the house forever attempting to bypass adults supervision.

But this pwd recovery thing is much ado for a simple thing. I keep all my pwds in an encrypted spreadsheet. Old skool.

Google family link and bitdefender kids app for the win. They cant even sneeze without me knowing about it. It tells me every app they try to install and how long they use it. Hard restricts youtube and google searches.