[SOLVED] How do I confirm that the RAM frequency that I set in BIOS is what is running in the system?

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
Hello ALL,

I purchased 4 * 16gb ECC RAM sticks

They were advertised at 1866 MHZ....but when installed them, I needed to change the values to 1866 MHZ in the BIOS...

I then used AIDA 64 and CPUID CPU-Z to confirm that they were in fact running at that speed (at 1866 MHZ)

To my surprise, both programs indicated that they were only running at 1066 MHZ;

HOWEVER, when I check in Task Manager, it says that my RAM are running at exactly that (at1866 mhz)

Who do I believe? How do I check what frequency it is running?

Solution
ram has base speed called SPD, thats the speed bios pickups as default, it can have few more SPD frequencies to increase commpatibility with default bios post) advertised speed is tested overclock (in most cases)
in cpu-z, if u click on memory page, under timings "DRAM speed" is your ram frequency which is currently running (should be around 933MHz for 1866DDR)
if u click SPD page and one slot where module sits it would tell max bandwith speed DDR3-1866 ( 933MHz)
its not always clean number, fsb can be 100.1Mhz which will affect dram speed aswell
ram has base speed called SPD, thats the speed bios pickups as default, it can have few more SPD frequencies to increase commpatibility with default bios post) advertised speed is tested overclock (in most cases)
in cpu-z, if u click on memory page, under timings "DRAM speed" is your ram frequency which is currently running (should be around 933MHz for 1866DDR)
if u click SPD page and one slot where module sits it would tell max bandwith speed DDR3-1866 ( 933MHz)
its not always clean number, fsb can be 100.1Mhz which will affect dram speed aswell

Reactions: barkersofgeraldine
Solution

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
thanks, that checks out with everything. tyvm

TRENDING THREADS