[SOLVED] How do I connect 2 PC's together

joeacejr15

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018
Okay, so I want to get into mining (large scale someday) and if I want over 18 GPU's per rig, I need more motherboards. Is there a way to combine 2 computers horsepower? How would I go about this? How do I control 2 PC's at once with 1 operating system, 1 ssd? Software needed?

An easier way to ask this is, how do people in server rooms control thousands of servers with 1 keyboard and mouse? Or is it just worth getting a few SSD's (or usb drives), making a little network, then controlling them remotely? I would likely max out at 3 or 5 someday. These systems will not have Windows on them, as I do not need a GUI. I just need these machines to mine mine mine. I want to control them from my main Windows PC.

Solution
how do people in server rooms control thousands of servers with 1 keyboard and mouse?
Network. And specialized hardware. Servers have special ethernet ports, IPMI, for remote management. Also there are KVM devices which can provide keyboard and mouse to a dozen or so servers. That KVM then has an ethernet port that is connected to the management network.

There is no practical way to "combine" two PCs under 1 operating system. To scale up, you would PXE boot a new box, then your build server would automatically install all the software you need. You use a standardized configuration to simplify your management overhead.

kanewolf

Titan
how do people in server rooms control thousands of servers with 1 keyboard and mouse?
Network. And specialized hardware. Servers have special ethernet ports, IPMI, for remote management. Also there are KVM devices which can provide keyboard and mouse to a dozen or so servers. That KVM then has an ethernet port that is connected to the management network.

There is no practical way to "combine" two PCs under 1 operating system. To scale up, you would PXE boot a new box, then your build server would automatically install all the software you need. You use a standardized configuration to simplify your management overhead.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS