[SOLVED] How do i connect a 24 pin psu to a Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq 6200 Pro MT PC

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Lemme guess, the motherboard looks like this?
hp-6200-pro-sff-q65-motherboard-615114-001-2f-611794-001-2f-614036-002-500x500.jpg

Proprietary motherboard, proprietary psu.
You can't use a standard ATX psu in there. You need another HP supplied unit.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, you're outta luck. They(HP) didn't make a unit that big for their little Compaq 6200 MT - there were 240 and 320w combinations.

You're looking at a brand new system.
Those proprietary motherboards and psus were anti-consumer practices by companies to force their customers to buy brand new systems instead of just upgrading what they had.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place, you are...

Jul 3, 2020
Well, you're outta luck. They(HP) didn't make a unit that big for their little Compaq 6200 MT - there were 240 and 320w combinations.

You're looking at a brand new system.
Those proprietary motherboards and psus were anti-consumer practices by companies to force their customers to buy brand new systems instead of just upgrading what they had.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place, you are...
whats a good pc that is cheap because i got this one for aud$150
and it has i5 and 8gb ram

Jul 3, 2020
None that I know of. You'll have to check Australia's 2nd hand PC markets.
ok i found good pc i think could you check it ill put the specs :
cpu:AMD Athlon 3000G 3.5Ghz 2 Core 4 Thread AM4 APU
motherboard: ASUS PRIME A320M-K AM4 mATX Desktop Motherboard
memory: 2 x GeIL 8GB Single DDR4 EVO SPEAR C16 3000MHz
os drive: WD Green 240GB 3D NAND 2.5" SSD
storage drive: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM010 3.5" 1TB 64MB HDD
graphics card: gigabyte Radeon RX580 Gaming 8GB GDDR5
case: Deepcool Tesseract Black/Red Mid Tower w/Side Window
psu: Silverstone Essential Series 550W 80Plus Gold Semi-Modular Power Supply
i have the internet card
and 2 year warrenty

I bought one of these adapter cables to replace a dead PSU and move the motherboard from an HP EliteDesk 600 G1 to a mid tower case. https://www.moddiy.com/products/HP-...Power-24-Pin-to-6-Pin-Adapter-Cable-30cm.html

It should work fine as all the other systems with similar cabling have the same adapter listed. HP used the same proprietary 6pin PSU cabling in many systems. https://www.moddiy.com/products/HP-...Main-Power-24-Pin-to-6-Pin-Adapter-Cable.html

Also, I'm still not totally sure, but I believe it's possible to run a GTX 1650 Super in your motherboard or possibly even a 1660 Super/TI Edit - I should clarify that I meant after upgrading the PSU first to an ATX PSU to fit in mid tower the case you have.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamirD

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
You have two problems:

Your PSU wont fit, or the cables wont match since this is a motherboard built for HP Compaq. The case is designed as compact and small and I saw them physically. Fixed one a week ago and the PSU is so small and got it's own swinging door-like bracket feature LMAO. Still a good build tho, got 4 DDR3 ram slots but the case will hinder you from upgrades especially the GPU part, tight fit.

You have two problems:

Your PSU wont fit, or the cables wont match since this is a motherboard built for HP Compaq. The case is designed as compact and small and I saw them physically. Fixed one a week ago and the PSU is so small and got it's own swinging door-like bracket feature LMAO. Still a good build tho, got 4 DDR3 ram slots but the case will hinder you from upgrades especially the GPU part, tight fit.
If it's actually the HP Compaq 6200 Pro MT (Microtower), then that should mean it uses a "standard" sized ATX PSU and can be replaced with the 24pin ATX PSU adapter I listed in my previous post. The motherboard itself is a BTX, but that doesn't matter if you're not moving the motherboard to another case.

Thank you all i have made the decision to get a new pc thanks for all the help :)
A new system is probably your best option, but the PC you picked is not that great, because of the A320 chipset motherboard, but mostly because the Athlon 3000G is actually going to be as fast or slower than an i5-2500 from 2011. You can however upgrade the CPU to at least a Ryzen 5 2600 or 3600, but I wouldn't recommend using a Ryzen 7 on an A320 motherboard. If you can afford it, get a B450 motherboard to reduce limitations if you upgrade the system with a new CPU in the future.

Reactions: SamirD

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
If it's actually the HP Compaq 6200 Pro MT (Microtower), then that should mean it uses a "standard" sized ATX PSU and can be replaced with the 24pin ATX PSU adapter I listed in my previous post. The motherboard itself is a BTX, but that doesn't matter if you're not moving the motherboard to another case.

A new system is probably your best option, but the PC you picked is not that great, because of the A320 chipset motherboard, but mostly because the Athlon 3000G is actually going to be as fast or slower than an i5-2500 from 2011. You can however upgrade the CPU to at least a Ryzen 5 2600 or 3600, but I wouldn't recommend using a Ryzen 7 on an A320 motherboard. If you can afford it, get a B450 motherboard to reduce limitations if you upgrade the system with a new CPU in the future.

I see, thanks for the clarification. Sorry for the lazy reading. I was talking about the Compaq 6200 pro small form factor. xD

Yea I agree with the upgrade. It's showing age but still, enough to game some hardcore ones with some compromises made and maxing out. A ryzen 3 and 5 will be a better option I guess.

Last edited: