[SOLVED] How do I connect a Windows XP Professional to the ethernet?

tpternus

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
I am looking for help connecting a Windows XP Professional to the ethernet. The computer is an HP Presario and it is hardwired to a functioning router. The lights on the router indicate a good connection to the Presario. There are multiple Windows 10 computers running on this router.

Solution
OOPS, just noticed something VERY WRONG with your original ifconfig.

How come the client IP is SAME as GATEWAY? It cannot be. All IP addresses must be unique, otherwise the FedEx is gonna get confused when delivering you the package. DHCP and DNS and GATEWAY are the same box so they are OK.

Looks like your DHCP server is wrongly configured. All your infrastructure boxes: modem, routers, switches, printers typically have STATIC (fixed) IPs, and the rest PC, laptops, phones etc have DYNAMIC IPs.

A typical DHCP server configuration will say something like: Reserve .1 to .15 for static, and .16 to .254 (lease range) for dynamic. At first glance looks like your DHCP using the whole range .1 to .254 for dynamic. FIX THAT, then...

tpternus

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
The other question is...why?
XP is not really safe to use connected directly the outside world.
There are some applications like QuickCAD that don't run on more current operating systems like Win 7 (which is about to lose support) and Win 10 and Autodesk dropped support for QuickCAD several years ago and provided no support for the .CAD files that QuickCAD generated - some companies could care less about their customers and the list is endless.

tpternus

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
Several ways to do this, try IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\OUT.TXT, may have to do this inside a command prompt.

Lets see out.txt.
I performed the ipconfig you propvided above and I have the content of OUT.TXT on the Whinows XP system, but I don't have a convenient way of listing it here. I have taken a picture of my screen, but I don't know how to include it here.

tpternus

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
Maybe you can educate me on the cut and paste process across disassociated systems..
I really think you can help me. Is there any way that I can send you a copy of the TAKE-OUT in this link?
Like in the way it was done in DOS days - copy it to a floppy drive / USB key, move it to another system, copy it there, paste content in the message.

In the interest of saving time? I will do it the real old fashioned way:

Windows IP Configuration

_____Host Name ........................................... :HP-Office
_____Primary Dns Suffix............................. :
_____Node Type............................................. : Broadcast
_____IP Routing Enabled............................ : No
_____WINS Proxy Enabled........................ : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
_____Connection-specific DNS Suffix.... :
_____Description............................................ : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
_____Physical Address................................. : 00-0E-A6-BC-C1-40
_____Dhcp Enabled....................................... : Yes
_____Autoconfiguration Enabled............ : Yes
_____IP Address............................................. : 10.0.0.1
_____Subnet Mask........................................ : 255.255.255.0
_____Default Gateway................................ : 10.0.0.1
_____DHCP Server....................................... : 10.0.0.1
_____DNS Servers........................................ : 10.0.0.1
_____Lease Obtained.................................. : Monday, July 15, 2019 6:49;03 AM
_____Lease Expires...................................... : Tuesday, July 16, 2019 6:49:03 AM

tpternus

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
Not to be disrespectful, but how do I copy from one standalone computer to another computer, bro.

Not to be disrespectful, but how do I copy from one standalone computer to another computer, bro.

In the interest of saving time? I will do it the real old fashioned way:

Windows IP Configuration

_____Host Name ........................................... :HP-Office
_____Primary Dns Suffix............................. :
_____Node Type............................................. : Broadcast
_____IP Routing Enabled............................ : No
_____WINS Proxy Enabled........................ : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
_____Connection-specific DNS Suffix.... :
_____Description............................................ : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
_____Lease Obtained.................................. : Monday, July 15, 2019 6:49;03 AM
_____Lease Expires...................................... : Tuesday, July 16, 2019 6:49:03 AM

OK, u didn't do the /ALL like I asked u, but the above does look normal.

So what happen then u attempt to surf? what error message(s)?

Do u know how to use PING? that maybe your next step.

The above says your DHCP, Gateway etc is 10.0.0.1. All of your other clients should be the same, so u may want to verify that. I assume everything else work except this box.

tpternus

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
OK, u didn't do the /ALL like I asked u, but the above does look normal.

So what happen then u attempt to surf? what error message(s)?

Do u know how to use PING? that maybe your next step.

The above says your DHCP, Gateway etc is 10.0.0.1. All of your other clients should be the same, so u may want to verify that. I assume everything else work except this box.
I did use /all - maybe there is a problem with spacing. I do have access to the internet, But I don't see my other computers on the local network. I did issue a ping to 10.0.0.1 successfully 4 sent, 4 received. The problem probably lies in my configuration. I have a wireless router hardwired to my gateway router.
I am also not very proficient with command prompt activity.

I do have access to the internet, But I don't see my other computers on the local network.
This is a common problem with people running more than one subnet. For simplicity-sake home users should only run 1 subnet. A typical scenario, separate subnet is created every time a WIFI router is added. A typical wiring I see very often:

ISP ---> Modem/Router ---> SWITCH ---> WIFI ROUTER ---> LAN.

Most of the clients are "behind" the WIFI router, on LAN. Then a PC is hooked up by the SWITCH. A PC here does not know how to get to LAN. In this scenario, you are advised to reconfigure your WIFI router as Access Point, HERE.

If this is not your scenario, draw a diagram of all your main pieces, with Make/Model and post. Do another IPCONFIG for one of your other PC and also post.

Last edited:

tpternus

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
This is a common problem with people running more than one subnet. For simplicity-sake home users should only run 1 subnet. A typical scenario, separate subnet is created every time a WIFI router is added. A typical wiring I see very often:

ISP ---> Modem/Router ---> SWITCH ---> WIFI ROUTER ---> LAN.

Most of the clients are "behind" the WIFI router, on LAN. Then a PC is hooked up by the SWITCH. A PC here does not know how to get to LAN. In this scenario, you are advised to reconfigure your WIFI router as Access Point, HERE.

If this is not your scenario, draw a diagram of all your main pieces, with Make/Model and post. Do another IPCONFIG for one of your other PC and also post.

Here is the results of my ipconfig command for my primary Win to system, The others should be similar

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Tom--Desktop
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 8C-89-A5-DB-F3-75
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::cdd8:9217:cabf:deee%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, July 9, 2019 10:06:21 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, July 18, 2019 2:48:45 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 59541925
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-22-45-F6-DD-8C-89-A5-DB-F3-75
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-83-16-C0-DC
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
I will have to do some research to map out the whole network.

Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet NIC

How come the client IP is SAME as GATEWAY? It cannot be. All IP addresses must be unique, otherwise the FedEx is gonna get confused when delivering you the package. DHCP and DNS and GATEWAY are the same box so they are OK.

Looks like your DHCP server is wrongly configured. All your infrastructure boxes: modem, routers, switches, printers typically have STATIC (fixed) IPs, and the rest PC, laptops, phones etc have DYNAMIC IPs.

A typical DHCP server configuration will say something like: Reserve .1 to .15 for static, and .16 to .254 (lease range) for dynamic. At first glance looks like your DHCP using the whole range .1 to .254 for dynamic. FIX THAT, then reboot everything.

Is turning out this has nothing to do with XP, but everything with your basic network configuration.

tpternus

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017

A typical DHCP server configuration will say something like: Reserve .1 to .15 for static, and .16 to .254 (lease range) for dynamic. At first glance looks like your DHCP using the whole range .1 to .254 for dynamic. FIX THAT, then reboot everything.

Is turning out this has nothing to do with XP, but everything with your basic network configuration.

I appreciate your continued support. Please understand that I have a relatively large home network spread across the house so it is not easy to map it. Also XP is part of the problem because it doesn't provide a lot of the tools and simplicity of Win 10 which I do have installed on 7 of my systems. Also, while I worked with Static and Dynamic IPs and DHCP in the past that was 10 to 15 years ago and my memory has not kept up with my network. I believe Netgear had a network mapping program that seemed to work quite well, but they discontinued it several years ago. Today I would need to do some research to figure out how to change my DHCP. But I will continue - I hope with your help.

Solution

tpternus

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
The following is my network as I hace currently mapped it out:
Wireless Network Name
MfgDescriptionModelKeySSID
AT&T GatewayBGW210
Netgear Nighthawk Wireless RouterxxxxxxxxCaesar
NetgearProSafe 16 Port SwitchGS116
devices hardwired to switch:
SYX - Desktop__Tom - Win 10
Acer Office - Win 10
Acer Win 10
Lenovo - Win 10
HP LaserJet 1536 MFP
HP Prolia - CAD - Win XP
NetgearDual Band WiFi Range ExtenderWN2500RPxxxxxxxxCaesar_2GEXT
devices hardwired to Range Extender:
Nvidia Aspire ION1 ON EXTxxxxxxxx
Samsung Blue Ray DVD2 ON EXTxxxxxxxx
Sonos Boost4 ON EXTxxxxxxxx
wireless devices:
Acer Laptop - Win 10xxxxxxxxCaesar_2GEXT
Samsung Tablet - AndroidxxxxxxxxCaesar_2GEXT
various family tablets/laptops and cellphones xxxxxxxxCaesar_2GEXT

Taking all that network aside, you are not getting the correct IP on that system. Are you running the latest service pack and patches on that XP computer? Did it work before?

Check the IP on one of the working systems, what is the IP it has along with the gateway and DHCP server. The rest of the info is not really needed yet.

There are a bunch of things that look odd.

1 You have a gateway which is a modem/router, then a router, which of those is setup as the DHCP server?

2 The IP config shows a bad IP on the system, it can't be the same as the gateway in a normal setup, also the gateway is shown as 10.0.0.1 which is very odd, the Netgear Nighthawk router has a 192.168.1.1 IP by default and from what I can find the ATT gateways are also 192.168.x.x setups. So this 10.0.0.x network is a bit strange.

3 In the first post you said you were wired to the router but looks like you are on the switch, can you connect the desktop directly to the router and see if it works then? If not, with the system connected to the router go to the router setup page on another system and see if the router status shows that computer MAC attached to it.

A thing to try, although not "fixing" the issue, is to simply give it a manual IP that was not given out to another system.

tpternus

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
Thanks for your suggestions. I am now using the router/modem solely as a modem and I moved all of the hardwired devices to the switch. There are now no IP Address conflicts and everything is working. Thanks for your invaluable help.