How do I connect my Brother HL-L2380DW printer to my computer using a usb / firewire cable in order to print?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marko1980

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
I usually can print wirelessly. That is, when the printer is connected to my network. But when my network is down or internet is off I'd like to still be able to print. When I connect the cable though and send a print job nothing happens. I'm using Windows 10 if it matters.

Solution
Probably need to go into the printer' menu setup screens and switch from wireless to USB. Just turn off wireless at least.

Then connect a USB cable with A end (computer) and B end (printer) connectors between the computer and printer.

Hopefully the computer will recognize that a USB printer has been attached and offer to make it the default printer. If not, you will need to make the necessary changes manually via Devices and Printers.

Ralston18

Titan
Probably need to go into the printer' menu setup screens and switch from wireless to USB. Just turn off wireless at least.

Then connect a USB cable with A end (computer) and B end (printer) connectors between the computer and printer.

Hopefully the computer will recognize that a USB printer has been attached and offer to make it the default printer. If not, you will need to make the necessary changes manually via Devices and Printers.

Solution

marko1980

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016

It worked. I turned off wireless from the printer menu. I connected the cable. In Devices and Printers I selected my printer and went into Printer Preferences. I then switched it to the USB option. Thank you! I was surprised that this wasn't in the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.