[SOLVED] How do I connect my new hard drive?

Jul 13, 2021
Bought a Seagate 7200.12 drive as a backup drive. My mobo has enough sata plugs.

My PSU is Seasonic SII 520w only came with 2 SATA power cables that the PC is currently using. Will buying any regular SATA power and data cables work or do they have to be compatible with my power supply.

Might be overthinking it, but I want to be sure I dont want to loose whats on my drives. Read about people using cables on a modular PSU from another PSU which turned out to be incompatible and the result was them frying their hard drives.

Solution
Are you sure about the PSU? This PSU comes with six SATA power connections and it's not a modular PSU, so it's quite hard for them to be missing.
This 6-pin PSU to SATA cable will do.

615r9AklywL._SS400_.jpg

Jul 13, 2021
Are you sure about the PSU? This PSU comes with six SATA power connections and it's not a modular PSU, so it's quite hard for them to be missing.
six connections on the PSU but only 2 cables,im asking for the cables

its a semi modular unit, I was just noting that people <Mod Edit> up and lose their information with modular units, I dont understand PSUs very well.

Last edited by a moderator:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
There's no reason to use an adapter; the PSU comes with the proper cables to power more than two SATA drives.

And again, this is where accurate information would be important. You say you have a semi-modular PSU. But an S12II PSU is not a semi-modular PSU. An M12II would have modular cables, but I don't want to just assume; if you're wrong about what one thing is, you may be wrong about another thing.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Could imagine cheap knockoff or really low powered psus limited to a couple of drives, but even then it would be rare id say. No reputable psu company would skimp or limit it's product to the user.

Sata power cables often come with multiple connections on the one cable. Check, they may be tucked away, obstructed from sight.

ALSO, pinout designs are not standardized in the industry and differ from company to company and sometimes different models can change. This means + / - pins can be in different spots. Never use cables bought off shelf or from another psu unless you're a 110% sure verifying pinouts with multimeter.

Simple rule, don't mix and only use cables supplied for the unit.

Bought a Seagate 7200.12 drive as a backup drive. My mobo has enough sata plugs.

My PSU is Seasonic SII 520w only came with 2 SATA power cables that the PC is currently using. Will buying any regular SATA power and data cables work or do they have to be compatible with my power supply.

Might be overthinking it, but I want to be sure I dont want to loose whats on my drives. Read about people using cables on a modular PSU from another PSU which turned out to be incompatible and the result was them frying their hard drives.
Start with showing the psu that you have.
The one you show should not need any extra cables.

Jul 13, 2021
There's no reason to use an adapter; the PSU comes with the proper cables to power more than two SATA drives.

And again, this is where accurate information would be important. You say you have a semi-modular PSU. But an S12II PSU is not a semi-modular PSU. An M12II would have modular cables, but I don't want to just assume; if you're wrong about what one thing is, you may be wrong about another thing.
Oh, yeah I saw the extra headers and managed to connect the drive.