How do I connect my security system to my smartphone?

Cyndra

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
I have a 9-camera home security system hooked up to a DVR. How do I go about being able to tap into it from my smartphone? Just hooked up new Netgear router. Any detailed suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cyndra

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
Kanewolf, thanks for the help. I downloaded ICam Viewer... it's on my phone, but I'm not sure what to put in the "Host/IP" line. It also asks for URL, User and Password. Is this my network user and password? I'm totally lost, but willing to learn.

kanewolf

Titan
Start with your phone connected to your WIFI. Then you could put the IP address your DVR has (192.168.x.y) ...

You go through the "Manage Cameras" tab in the App.

How do you get to your DVR via a web browser? That should have the IP address and port number in the browser URL.

I don't have my phone with me to give you step by step. But it should be "manage cameras" -> add a camera -> pick the type DVR you have and then fill in the network info.

kanewolf

Titan
After you get it working with your phone connected to your WIFI, then you will need to create a dynamic DNS name for your public IP address and do some port forwarding on your router to make your DVR publicly visible.

What model DVR do you have?

Cyndra

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
I don't have my DVR hooked via browser yet. My DVR is a Northern DVRN960 series. On the back of the DVR there is an Ethernet cable connected in the "wan" port, which is connected to my router. I just can't figure out how to access it.
Make sense? My phone connects to my home network. Making them all talk to each other is my issue. Maybe I need to find a local 14 yr old.!!

kanewolf

Titan
OK. I mistakenly thought you had browser access and were looking for phone access. So you need to start with browser access. Did you go through the network setup steps like shown here - http://www.tri-ed.com/pdf/DVRN960_SetupGuide.pdf
You are going to want to set a static IP address. You will need to check your router to see what addresses are not in the DHCP range -- but usually something like .250 is pretty safe.

Cyndra

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
You are going to want to set a static IP address. You will need to check your router to see what addresses are not in the DHCP range -- but usually something like .250 is pretty safe.[/quotemsg]

So, yesterday I actually did figure out how to go from my browser to the DVR. Check! I read that the next step is what you are also suggesting. Haven't done anything like that yet. Will try today after work. So, for clarifiaton, which number would be that .250? Again, new territory for me! Thanks again for your help. I'm getting there slowly!

kanewolf

Titan
The static IP address is the last set of digits -- 192.168.x.250 .... I looked at IP Cam Viewer when I got home. Northern is not listed as a vendor in the vendor list. BUT the developer of the software is real good about communicating. Try contacting the developer for tips on connecting.